Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend is buying a quad next week and he doesnt know if he should get a yzf 450 or a 400ex and its his first time on a quad well a sports quad with a clutch and i wanna get the goods and bads about the 450 so maybe i can change his mined to get a predator 500 or 400 ex.... plus i wanna know how this machine is doing against the predator thanks for your help .

·
Registered
184 Posts
I swapped with a friend and rode his 400ex for awhile, I noticed that the front end is super light so it wheelies easy but also the front floats over the trail like the tires are just barely making contact with the ground, it seemed like you did as much steering by leaning as you did with the handlebars. I noticed the bumpsteer and the steering was kind of heavy and unrefined feeling after riding the predator all day. Obviously they arent as fast as a pred. but they keep up well on the trails, however the throttle felt unresponsive and even when you were accelerating quick it didnt seem like it. My friend said he really liked the way the steering felt on the predator, and after riding other quads I realize that I like it a whole lot too. Thats my very biased unprofessional OPIONION of the 400ex, if ya dont like it shove it! I dont know much about the yfz but I know they are quick and do offer competition to the predator in a drag race, so if they are slower its not like z400 slow.

·
Registered
993 Posts
a 400ex should not even be compared to a yfz, the 400ex is way outdated and slow, the yfz is probably the most advanced stock factory quad ever produced.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
My preator was bought from the dealer by a friend of mine. he never rode a quad before and he gave me ownership of the quad after a few months because he simply could not take the beating the quad ws giving him. Not that its a rough quad but he didnt know how to use the power or manuever over obstacles. I would tell your friend not to get the yfz or the 400ex, i would move him towards a z400 or one of the other two clones. It is not to crazy but still has power for future riding when he gets the hang of it. And plus the aftermarket world is huge fo the quad.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ya, there seriously shouldn't be any decision between the YFZ and the 400ex. YFZ all the way. A ton faster. The only thing the 400ex has going for it is that it's an old design and all the kinks are basically worked out of it, who knows what problems are going to arise with the YFZ being it's first year. I would try to lean him in the direction of the 2004 Predator. Second year, kinks worked out, and a ton of potential. I haven't had one problem with my 2003. Love it. May not be as fast as the YFZ stock (haven't raced one yet), but at 800 bucks cheaper you've got some cash to play with. If the YFZ had been around when I bought my preddy I would have had a pretty tough decision on my hands. I probably would have went Yamaha since my first quad was a 2003 blaster. But I am 110% happy with my preddy.

Sean

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool ya see i was leaning towards the 400ex bc i know there great coal hill climbers around here by me and the z 400 is to but the yamahas have alittle trouble and sence were gunna be climbing long steap hills and sometimes ruget paths so you can see my reason for leaning towards those to and the predator still kicks ass around here lol . but thanks for the opinons ill try to get him to change his mind

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had 4,000 invested into my predator and traded it in for a yfz. On the track it lights up the predator. Don't get me wrong I liked my predator, but for MX racing the YFZ has way more potential. all around riding get the predator.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i heard that you have to replace the pistons in the yfz 450 almost everytime you change the oil in the qquad or something like that is it true ? thats why other peoples engines are blowing up in the quad

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dollar for dolar I would say consider the z400 over the 400 ex. I am a die hard red fan but hey, liquid cooled, with plenty of growth potential, especially for the beginner. The predator is also a very good alternative. You have to consider its added goodies, heavy duty axle, steel braided brake lines. wide but not excessively wide base, aftermarket tires, .Plenty of growth potential. YFZ from talking to friends who have rode them is a high rev bike, almost like 2 stroke. You must keep the rpm's up or it will stall, lots of power, plenty of growth potential..

The 1+ longer rear than 400 ex of the Polaris helps keep the front end down, plenty of power to tap into. z-400 tends to be light on the front end. Can't really speak for the YFZ in hill climbing but at local drag strips it is hanging with the Predator...Just depends on the rider.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool ya my friend isnt getting the yfz anymore .... its between the raptor and z400 i guess im gunna find out tomorrow after school when i get home .

·
Registered
557 Posts
not to sound like a raptor basher but between the 2 I would go with the z just for reliabity reason. I am still seeing 02 and 03 raptors ripping out starters and gears along with other problems. Just my opion though.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
if those are your friends choices...then what happened to the predator? it falls right imbetween the price range of a 660 and a z.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"if those are your friends choices...then what happened to the predator? it falls right imbetween the price range of a 660 and a z. "

And the predator has the great handling of the z and the power of the raptor, cant beat that!

·
Registered
839 Posts
If your friend is a total beginner I would steer him toward the z400 or Predator. Both are easy to ride. The Raptor is a great quad but it's very narrow and tippy, and it wheelies too easily.

FYI, I had a YZ426F and it was the best dirt bike I ever owned. It was very reliable and I never had to do anything internally to the engine. This is basically the same engine that's in the YFZ quad, and I would expect it to be just as reliable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well he got a raptor its his first time on the quad geeees lets hope he doesnt pop the clutch lol ...........

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Lol, what was the point of this thread, we never even recomended the 660. Its cool though watch him because that is alot of power for a beginner.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Good for him, at least he wont have to worry about trying to keep up with the mighty predator!! lol lol

·
Registered
993 Posts
raptors keep up with the predator just fine, a drag race between the two will usually come down to the riders abilities. I rode both a raptor and my predator in the sanddrags, I had much better and more consistant results on the raptor. Both have similar mods also.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
o ya we dont have any sand around here just coal hills and dirt/coal/rocky paths we do race on this road up in the mt we are on pavement does any body know if theres any difference there if you race like does it still come out to a close race

·
Registered
48 Posts
similar mods, it's a close race. depends on if he can keep his front end down. man, i need that swingarm..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts