Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 450 just blew up going down the railroad bed at about 60 mph. it had about 50 miles on it and my dealer said the crank went in it and it will be over 1 month rebuilding it. IT WILL BE SOLD

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Gee you think you just discovered what will be known as the YFZ450's key weakness? Sorta like the Raptor's transmission and the Kodiak 450's front diff servo motor and the Grizzly's weak axles (post '02)?

Rob

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Kinda surprised though. Yamaha stuff is usually pretty good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think i read on another forum that yamaha had a different crank in it at first, which would have given them 450cc's, but due to the 440cc limit they swaped for a different crank to get down to 439cc's. Hmmmm..wonder if it was a bad crank they've went to..? Hopefully an isolated incident..hope you wernt hurt during it.!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I read and saw pictures in a yamaha forum about frames bending like wet noodles in end over crashes. Another guy had a twisted frame and said he never wrecked it. Another said that wheeling onto the back grab bar trashes the frame. Looks like the light frame is going to have problems too. And we all know what they say about buying first year models! :O

·
Registered
48 Posts
so quick to bash.. 1 report and we're talking raptor trannies already. LOL.. to crack on a yfz frame when predator's are breaking is kinda, well, the pot calling the kettle black. owell.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I dont think anyone is bashing here..just telling what we hear. ****, there are threads out there asking whos frame broke on their pred..are we bashing them? No, just curious whats up with who. If i went out tomorrow and saw three yami's break frames, and came back and said guess what, i saw three yami's break frames, thats not bashing, thats saying what i saw.

I think this should be, "so quick to get all defensive.." calm down..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the new yami......I became interested in the forum when the bike first came out because I was thinking about buying one. I first read in that forum how they are far superior to the other bikes, including the "predaturd" as you refer in your modification listing on your profile. I have raced the new yamahas and have written of my first hand experiences. I am interested in the new Honda also and will read the Honda forums....it usually takes about a month or so and the true problems that a bike has come out in the open. I have had electrical problems on my "turd" and have openly written about it in this formum also. Chill 420......in my opinion, forums are a good source of information....good or bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not all defensive. "Gee you think you just discovered what will be known as the YFZ450's key weakness? Sorta like the Raptor's transmission and the Kodiak 450's front diff servo motor and the Grizzly's weak axles (post '02)? "
We won't even talk about the raptor sucks/blows thread.. I continue to like the predator. It's just a little small for me. What kind of electrical problems? My friend and I are having a prob with his battery going dead, and issues with the ignition. It just came back from the dealer, so we'll see.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I was just being honest about the weakness issue. Yamaha clearly has major quality problems, and their customers get the short end of the stuck. Heck, it took me nine months to fix the gas boiling problem in my Grizzly. But ya know what, it's still my all-time favorite utility quad.

I also happen to like the Raptor. I'm going to be looking for a used '02 in the next month or two unless by some chance I can find a used Predator in the same price range ($4k or so) -- not likely. Need another sport quad for potential significant others. :)

Rob

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't think there is a quad out there with certain problems in a small percent of them, I've heard plenty of stories about raptors breaking upper a-arms and a weak 2001 tranny, but what about the numerous predator frames that are cracking and the problems with the transmissions, seats, brakes, holes in airbox lid, ball joints? My buddies predator with unders 10 hours on it has been in the shop over two months for the trans and they don't expect to be done with it anytime soon. I'd say polaris definetely has there issues just as all the other manufactures do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
all i go by for reliability is the fact that my raptor has not broken/been to the dealer once in the 1.2 years I owned it. In the 9 months my friend has had his predator, it's been back 8 times. Again, not bashing.. Just calling it as I see it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
have had my pred. since jan. and no problems at all....also my dealer has not had any back in for any kind of warrenty work....so who knows....just finished racing season here, I finished 2nd in the stock class to another preddy..oh well not bad for first year racing....Later

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well another thing you have to consider is this is a first year quad. the quirks have to be ironed out. YOu talk about reliablity as your main thing...ask how many 01 raptors have been to the dealer with busted trannies..or bent axles. Ask how many Z400s have broken frames..all first year quads are gonna have some quirks..fact of life..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts