Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10" rear wheels on my 2009 Outlaw IRS, I am wondering if 9" wheels would be better for XC. The sidewalls on the tires really seem to get ripped up, I wonder if it has anything to do with the shorter sidewalls. There also seems to be a better selection of tires for 9" rims too.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
More tire = more give for cushion, but more flex for bad handling.
I'd take the 9's. My 09 has the 10's on it too.

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
The sidewalls tear up due to air pressure and quality of tire. The stockers do not have the best sidewalls IMO. Run at least 5 psi in the rears in rocky conditions. I run 10 in the fronts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I figured that the 10 inch rims would be more likely to get pinch flats from rocks. I rode for a week at hatfield McCoy last summer and really gouged up the sidewalls there. I think I may get a set of different tires and wheels for the trip next year as the rocks ate a lot of tread off the tires. Anyway, any other pros/cons for either size?

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
Were you running the stock tires? Hiper only made a 10" for the IRS and I never had any issues with pinch flats on them. I ran Razr 2 6 plys all year last year. Like I said,your air pressure has a lot to do with flats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts