Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down here in ontario our winters can get pretty white.
The snow gets pretty thick
and i was wondering what gearing everyone ran in the snow?
Thanks

mike

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
for deep snow the gear i use is a good lokoing woman, hot fire and tv. not sure what other gear you would want. its only august, youre nutty thinking of snow now,, put it off as long as possible

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was mainly just wondering if snow would be at all comparable to sand
if it was i would just get one now
and then i could use it in sand and when the snow comes
but a good looking woman sounds good too!
Thanks anyway

mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
Snow and sand are very opposite. No sport quads do very well in the snow and the Pred isnt any different. Gearing may make a small difference in traction but not near as much as tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay
thanks for ur help
maybe ill get some chains or something
who knows
like vortec57 said
i got alot of time to think about it

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
interesting, i had always thought sand and snow would be similar to run in, ive seen pics of quads with paddles and snowmobile skis on front for tires, must have been a lot of work for nothing. guess ill stick to inside or bodywork on the 57 instead

·
Registered
343 Posts
They have simularities, and differences! The key of both is to stay on top..and its alot easier in sand! Snow once you get down and inch or two, your doomed! Tire choice is VERY important!

I run 13/38 gearing for the winter for two reasons. For one, i run a 22" tire so i want to keep my gearing close to stock, and second, the bike needs lower gearing, so the 38 gives it just that extra low end. The biggest thing is tire choice!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to adapt matttracks to the rear and skis to the front? I would love to do that and register my pred as a snomobile to be able to ride the trails in the winter

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ive seen it done on a raptor before...

·
Registered
404 Posts
ive seen it on a ds650 too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.