Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good synthetic oil for the Pred?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Polaris PS4 is a great oil to use in the predator and is what the factory recommends!

Other than that it is a crap shoot between the other choices out there, as no one really knows what viscosity the factory stuff is!

Although I would have no fear of using an amsoil product as long as it is rated for use in a wet clutch trans!!

Taking in to consideration what one pays for there quad, why skimp on using quality oil in their motor?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
a lot of people here run the mobil 1 red cap 15w 50 which i just put in, for the price diff ill try it out, and if i dont like it ill go back to ps4, it comes pretty highly reccomended though from what im seeing here

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have run mobil one, and maxima full syn with poly ester in it. didnt notice any differeance from ps4. i have always ran maxima in everything so i stick with them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
opti 2 oil we run it in al our bikes if you use there oil the give you double the factories warrantee and works awesome there 2 strk oil is the best we have ever tested

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
how much does that opti and the mobil 1 running you guys?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
mobil 1 was less than 3 bux a quart,, compared to my dealer screwing me for 8 for ps4

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
$8 for PS4 lmfao we sell it for like $5 at out shop....sucks to be you...i run PS4 we were told at the tech info session that most other oils will burn out the clutch the PS4 is designed specifically for the predators clutch....i dont care if its BS from the factory to buy their **** i get it cheap and i use it because i havent had a problem with it...TLP

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
yeah, i liked the ps4 a lot,, but i didnt like driving 75 miles to get it for 5 bux, and now that the local dealer got a new building im sure its up to 10-12 bux, everyone is saying they jacked up prices even more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Polaris has a long history (mostly with sleds) of crappy oil. With my Sportsman 700 the shop knew that the 0W-40 was full synthetic Mobile 1, but nobody seems to know what the PS4 is other than 10W-40. A buddy of mine and I did a bunch of research and even called a couple 1-800 numbers and have decided to run the Mobile 1 MX4T. It is a full synthetic 10W-40 designed for high rpm 4-stroke bikes and wet clutches. It is a bit pricy at $8 a quart, but still cheaper than some out there. It is also tough to find. So far the only place I know that carries it is Autozone, other than ordering it off the 'net.
Like RNGMSTR with the Amsoil, which is also very good and generally easier to find, we got much smoother shifting and finding neutral is easier. I know that a lot of guys are running the Mobil 1 15W-50, which is fine for the motor but from what I hear is tougher on the clutch because there are friction modifiers added that are not in the MX4T. There are several good choices available, but I would stick with something designed for wet clutches.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
and would u like to explain to me about crappy snowmobile oil?...lmfao we run polaris gold in a lot of things...yes the blue is crappy because its just your basic cheap ****....gold is a nice synthetic and runs good in the old NON-variable exhaust sleds....the polaris VES and VES2 are good oils they are designed to work with polaris's exhaust valves....we use a lot of TORCO at the shop tho i use it in my sleds and used it in my blaster i had before...we have a drum of TORCO thats why i use it i dont keep wasting the quarts we have out on the showroom and ive had good luck with torco and my exhaust valves were clean ass hell when i went to clean them this season...they were in there for 2 riding seasons and their was barely any buildup on the valves...just wondering because we have not had any complaints with polaris's oil unless it was over how much the BLue smokes...PS-4 is a 10w-40 with some additional things in it to improve clutch wear and help prevent heat buildup..thats what we were told whether or not their is an addative or someone just pissed in the oil barrel to make thier special mix is a mystery to most of us

·
Registered
37 Posts
ArizonaDuner, batman here. Brother I am having awsome luck with Valvolines VR1 Racing SAE 50 Racing oil. I also add some Pro Blend Xtreme Engine Oil coolant. That coolant instantly cools oil up to 52 degrees. Pretty trick isnt it. Also with that combo i have noticed a better shifting in my predator and the clutch not getting near as hot. I also have a few more tricks up my sleave and will be hitting the marked soon I hope. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I use Mobil 1 MX4T. It is a 10W-40 like PS4. There is a good review of motorcycle oils in this months Sport Rider. It is a street bike mag. I've had good luck for almost a year now..knock on wood. A local mod shop dyno tested all available oils and found this allowed the best clutch hookup. It is hard to find HP in oil but there can be a slight amount of clutch slippage. He had found as much as a 10% difference in drive speed vs crank speed on an RM80 with suzuki oil. This is what lead him to the test of all oils. If the clutch ain't getting it to the back end it surely is loosing like putting horsepower down the drain. The real thing to look for is a JASO MA certification. This means it is formulated for proper clutch hookup.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dealers screws me for $9.99 a quart, try that on for size and $29.99 for a gallon. Anyone want to ask me why I am shopping for a different synth oil?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I run amsoil 0 to 40 same as the ps4 it is good foe wet clutchs also 4 bucks cheaper than the factory stuff same oil as near as i can tell.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I picked up the Mobil 1 15-50, I'll give it a shot, from the 15 minute run in my garage and down the street it appears to be running cooler. Can't tell without a temp gauge though.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Hey Erik, I run the Mobil 1 red cap. I have definately noticed a difference. The bike seems to run cooler and shift ALOT better. I can now find nuetral with the bike running. Was a good switch for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
try castrol R4 superbike if you want the best. they are very proud of it though, $10 a quart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts