Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 02 Sportsman 700 with 3,400 miles on it. Its in really good condition, and nothing wrong with it at all other than they just puked the engine. It still starts, but knocks like crazy, so its not locked up.....

I'm just trying to decide if its worth buying it and looking for another engine, or if I should try to part it out completely.

Heres what I know, 3,400 miles, chrome wheels with a few rust marks, unsure of tires but they're not bawld, warn winch, plow mount.

That being a 02 should have a carb right?

Any ideas of what its worth, or what I should TRY to offer the guy? Also, any leads on where to get a 700 that we could drop in it and not have to mess around with the junk engine?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Nada guides prices the quad at this:
PRICING
Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price
$2,580 $3,395
TOTAL PRICE $2,580 $3,395

Low Retail Value — low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. This vehicle should be in safe running order. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots. Low Retail should not be considered a trade-in value.

Going by the low retail price and figuring what it will cost you to fix the quad should get you close. If they broke the engine there might be other parts damaged from neglect so look close before you buy it. JMO

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were hoping to buy it for $500-800. Does that sound too cheap?

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
i would be looking at paying about $1,000 for it, i imagine you could find an engine or atleast parts to replace it for about $800 then it will probably take a good 10 hours to swap it out or replace all the parts. that is another good chunk of change. i wouldn't pay more that $1,000 just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any suggestions on WHERE to look for an engine for this 700?

I searched online, and found very little.

I'd like to find a complete engine and just drop it in! :)

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
i know this is a 500 h.o. but these make great power and are alot more plentiful. it is the only one i could find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-Sportsman-500-H-O-Engine-Motor-complete_W0QQitemZ300159257698QQihZ020QQcategoryZ43977QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, but we're talking a TWIN vs. a SINGLE, so we'd need a new exhaust, carb, CDI, Tranny (probabely), motor mounts, etc.............

I already kinda brainstormed that one last night!
Thanks for the lead though! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at a 02 Sportsman 700 with 3,400 miles on it. Its in really good condition, and nothing wrong with it at all other than they just puked the engine. It still starts, but knocks like crazy, so its not locked up.....

I'm just trying to decide if its worth buying it and looking for another engine, or if I should try to part it out completely.

Heres what I know, 3,400 miles, chrome wheels with a few rust marks, unsure of tires but they're not bawld, warn winch, plow mount.

That being a 02 should have a carb right?

Any ideas of what its worth, or what I should TRY to offer the guy? Also, any leads on where to get a 700 that we could drop in it and not have to mess around with the junk engine?

Thanks in advance!
Do you still have that motor? I'd like to take it off your hands for a busy project if you'd not mind

1 - 11 of 11 Posts