Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new set of tires for my 07 Silverado 2500 HD Classic. Its got a Duramax/allison, so it needs a strong tire.

I'm looking for a tire that does well on road, and lasts good on road, but that has decent traction off road. NOT a mud tire. The truck does alot of hauling, and rarely ever just cruises down the highway. Its either pulling my tractor/Featherlite, or my moms Horse Trailer, or something. I need to get into my hunting land, and the stock tires are sooooooooooooo horrible that i need 4 wheel drive on grass. Its got a Posi, so its spinning both rear tires. These tires won't bite in at all, I can spin them on wet grass, and they just get the grass all slimy, and never ever turn up a spec of dirt. (complete BS).

I want something like a BFG All Terrain, but not a tire that rides that rough. I had a set on my 1/2 ton, and it nearly bucked me out of the seat after I put the BFG's on it.
I'm looking at the Bridgestone Duellers, because i hear great things about them. The truck has 245-75-16 on it, but I think I would prefer to put 265's on it.

What have you guys had good or bad luck with as far as tires go? I really DON'T care to hear about any mud tires, so please don't suggest any. This truck doesn't go in the mud, and never will. Its amazing how you treat a truck that you really LOVE!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I like these

Discount tires direct

Attachments

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Put those BFG's on a 3/4 or 1 ton and they wont ride as rough . Thats alot of tire for a 1/2 ton not towing anything. I have BFG all terrains on my Duramax and my trailer is at least 15,000lbs. loaded and they ride and wear great. I had a set of toyo's prior and they were the biggest POS tire I have ever owned.I only got 20,000 miles out of them. There are alot of good quality tires out there thats just what I'm running .

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Last year, I put a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATRs on my RAM 3500 dually. They're really nice tires. They're smooth, quiet, handle surprisingly well for an A/T tire, and are GREAT in the snow. And a year later, they're wearing very well. I expect to get at least two more years out of them. Best of all, they're not all that expensive. Check Tire Rack.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone try these Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's?
They sound amazing in their reviews, and the tread design looks appropriate for my needs....

·
Registered
76 Posts
my brother n law has them, and they are great but wear fast. I had a great experience with the Bridgestone duellers and revos. I just put a set of the Toyo open country AT's on last month. So far they are a nice tire, slightly less grip than the duellers, but should last a little longer.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Another pic from the website, mine are (P) tires, but i think you need the LT tires. they been on mine for quite some time now, and not showing any wear yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Take a look at Nitto Terra Grapplers. I put a set on my diesel and I like them. Keep in mind that you are supposed to put tires on your truck that match up with the GVWR. Your 2500 with diesel probably require at least D maybe even E load range tires. The heavier rated tires will impact ride quality a bit. Whatever you do, do not put P tires on it, use LT. P tires are for passenger vehicles aren't for doing any hauling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+AT%2FS&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

I have those, the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. I got a little over 90,000 miles on the first set, and they could have lasted a bit longer. I put new ones on a few years ago, and have about 45,000 on them. They are by far the best tire I've ever had on a vehicle. I pull at 3 place fourwheeler trailer, which is about the only workhorsing I do with my truck, and they handle great. At high speed or even when I have to go off road to get to our spot. I couldn't be happier with them.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, thanks for all the "real world" opinions.
Keep them coming!!!!!!!

With the Bridgestone's (Duellers, and revo's, etc...) do they offer good traction on like snow or off road? They just look less aggressive, but people rave about their off road traction. Just makes me wonder.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I had the bridgestone last set,really was not to impressed with them as far as wear time, traction seamed as good as any.

My 02 sierra 4x4 came stock with P rated tires (P265-75-16) 6200 gvwr. Never had a problem haulin anything, just have to remember that not to overload more than its rated for.

Also had a ford explorer with the bridgeston/firestone recall tires on it, were replaced with free michlins, and I got more wear out of the originals before the recall than i did with the michlin replacements.

I always go by the wear/traction/temp ratings on the tires, they have always seemed pretty accurate to me.

My wifes honda civic came stock with bridgestone turanza's , good handling and traction tire, but were wore out at 25000 miles. I guess the price you have to pay for performance tires.

I put hankook winters on the civic last winter, ran them all summer, and still on the car looking new. Thats the reason i am tring the hankooks on the gmc now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just replaced a set of bridgestone duellers RHS that came on my truck from the factory and I had 55,000 on them. They were P tires but had great traction in the snow and wet stuff, only thing I have used that was better was the revos, but I only got 35k out of them on my last vehicle. Softer compounds grip better but wear quick.

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
Ihave always been a fan of the BFG All terrains. They last forever and are the best snow tire there is. They clot up in the mud somewhat.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The BFG All Terrains that I had did real well in snow. BUT once they wore down to near half tread, they were REALLY really slippery. Not because they were wore out either (they still had around 50% tread left on them). I sold the truck before I wore them any further, so I'm not sure how many miles they would have lasted. Mine got a little noisy too, but that was likely caused by the Junk Dodge front end they were on.

Luckily I think I can get almost $500 for the stock tires on the truck now, so that'll REALLY help cut the cost of the upgrade down. The truck only has 12,000 miles on it, so they look like new.

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
Iam surprised they were slippery. We use them to plow with and they did well. I am not sure what tire will do well once worn pretty far. My nitto Mud grapplers are about needing to be replaced and I am looking into the BFGs Mud or All terrains. Iwould love to know if the Mud Terrains are as loud as my mud grapplers as i am tired of the noise.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Jeff, the bfg mud terrains are a bit noisy on the highway, but I am used to running large, loud trucks, so I don't notice it...my wife has commented. Otherwise they work well in the snow, they wear great(I've been getting 75,000 miles on a set.)Ride is decent on a 1/2 ton. What I really like is the limited sidewall sway when trailering....load range "E" I think?I have been running BFG mudders for about 20 years now and really like them, but it is a truck, not a car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm picky, but my buddys BFG Mud terrains were nasty loud, and he got 20,000 miles out of 2 different sets. he drives hard tho.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
and he got 20,000 miles out of 2 different sets. he drives hard tho.

Wow, only 20,000 miles. Between me and my brothers, we have had about 8 sets of bfg mudders and always got way better that 50,000 on all of them. Makes me wonder if that vehical was hard on tires, or inflation was improper?

As far as noise goes Jeff, The cabs on the trucks today are so quiet that I don't think it is bad. I had some older trucks with some bias ply mudders that were obnoxious, but I really don't even notice these. My main thing is that they go through deep snow when I go north. Also as stated, good sidewall for trailering.

On a side note, they do pick up the really big rocks, the kind that will chip your paint, so you may want some good paint protection!

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I love my mud terrains. Not super noisy. They get louder with age. But in my opinion there is not a better truck tire on the road than mud terrains.

We use general grabber2's on our work trucks. Good tires. Not noisy. Good traction. Even wear. Good price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts