Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any plans to upgrade the machine size or equipment?What kind of goodies do you have now?

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I have a yellow 02 sp700 with 26" Mud Bugs mounted on Magnum rims. I also put a Heelclicker clutch kit and a self made 1 1/4" front lift. Don't ride it much due to having the plow mounted to it. Doesn't seem to stop snowing, so it's not worth taking it on and off. So I make due with the Predator. I studded the tires and goes much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Proud owner of a 2003 SP400. Will soon have the Montana Jack's Accessory Receiver System with a Warn 3.0ci winch.
Been thinking about a Heelclicker clutch kit sometime soon. Otherwise the rest is stock and I love it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yellow SP335. Needs lots more power but my wife likes it just the way it is. Oh well I have my Predator. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got an 01 Sportsman500HO that has been a very good bike, it has almost 2000 miles now. I just bought some new camo plastic for $350 off of ebay, saved a couple hundred on the plastic gettin it off of ebay. The only mods to my sportsman are that I have removed the front rack and front bumper and I have a rotating and blinking taillight. I have only rode my sportsman twice since I got the predator and I almost killed myself tyin to keep up with the pred. I found out the sportsman isnt quite as nible as the pred but I already knew that, just found out the hard way!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 00 sportsman 500 the one before they came out with the high output engine. I have had two sportsmans and bolth have had problems with the 4wd right know my front right tire won't engage. On my last one it was the berring in the front hub. Is anyone else having these problems?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my 4th Polaris and I must say the best I have ever owned. Awesome everything. Very nice site you got here. Tip of the hat to Rob.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
What does everybody think of the SP700? I'm hearing various stories of all kinds of "little" problems with it. I know there had been water pump issues but that was resolved. Thing is, nobody will actually say what these "little" problems are.

I've been looking pretty closely at them, and I really like it, but the lack of a recoil starter bothers me. The places I ride (trail-wise) requires dependability because I'm often a hundred miles or more from civilizatio (with a group, of course).

My Grizzly has never left me stranded, though my Arctic Cat did once and therefore it's on its way out because the local dealer is so pathetic that they flat refuse to even attempt to diagnose the problem unless they can duplicate it. I don't want a 500HO because I believe in getting the most power/torque that's available. Heck, the rumors of the EFI SP800 later this year really have me wanting to wait...

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 02 700 had their share of problems like any other, from the ground up re-designed new quad. They have been addressed on the 03's and up. Take a harder look at the 600. It has a better stock clutch which allows a smooth well controlled take off. The majority of 700 owners are installing heel clicker clutch kit in order to get almost the same results. Powerwise, they are the same except on top end where the 700 will surpass by about 2mph. The fuel consumption on the 700 is high, whereas the 600 is the same as the 500HO. I don't know if you realize the size of the battery. 30amps (same as a garden tractor)The biggest battery I have ever seen in any other quad is 14amps. This means it's got twice the capacity. I carry a set of compact booster cables in the compartment under the seat just in case. There are numerous improvements over the 500HO on the twin design and the SP600 goes for $300 more. Isay, it's a no brainer. So far I have not read a single post on a dissatisfied 600 owner. Like you said, wait till fall just in case they do release the 800.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Are you sure about the fuel economy being so much better on the 600? That would sway me toward the 600. I don't want the 500 because of the exposed hubs, and I prefer more low-end torque which I know the 700 has, and I read that the 600 has quite a bit of it too.

One big downside, however, is the lack of Mossy Oak Camo on the 600. That's the ONLY color in the entire lineup I'll have because of the darn red suspension parts on the other colors. So back to the 700 I go...

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 700 is fantastic. It's an '02 and has had the water pump cover replaced under warranty. Since then, no problems. Don't know how much longer I'll be taking it out on a regular basis now that I've got the Predator 500!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 01 sprtsman 500 HO and its great it hasent had eny problems and is coming onto 3000 miles now and it never failes me.I have a warn 2500 winch and front brush gard and uni air filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got an 03 SP 700. I have had some problems, but mainly cuz I ride it so hard. I've rolled it twice and yet each time was still able to ride it out of the woods. It does suck gas though, more than it should. I have a home-made lift about 1 1/2" and adjusted the rear shocks according to fit 27" Titan 589s. Great tires in mud, dirt, sand but hard to turn going slow and not good at all on pavement. I have also invested in a front brushguard, saved me lots of $$$ when I rolled it and also upgraded the 03 mudguards to the 04s. Much better looking and much more durable. With current set-up I can do about 56-58 mph wide open. Besides rolling it and setting it over on its side a few times in the snow only damage from normal trail riding has been a few axle boots. I have upgraded boots I do rip/tear to gorilla ones, a little bit more $$ but stronger thermoplastic.

Most likely will look to pick up an 05 TLD Predator. TLD looks a little bit better setup for the riding I do, mostly woods and logging trails, no sand in PA. Also will look to pickup another Sportsman. I'm on the fence about the 05s. Not sure if I like the new styling yet but it should grow on me. Much nicer features on the 05s, wider track, work lights, easy access to radiator. I don't think I'd get an EFI do to price, over $1000 more than carb 700. I most likely will look to pic up a 05 600 next fall as a leftover, hopefully.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
we have an 01 sp500 and an 03 sp600 (both clutched) and the 600 walks all over the 500 hands down we took them both to glamis and the 600 would run right past the 500 up oldsmobile and china wall, the 600 is definitely a torque monster , ours is clutched and it does some nice wheelies on black top(its a little cold blooded up here in MN but that doesnt slow us down) we've had no problems except we've smoked a few belts pulling trucks out of the ditch(LOL) and it had a bad fuel line that got plastic chunks in the carb (when you would jump it would die on landing) but thats fixed .... dont get me wrong the sp500 is a good machine ours has many thoooooousands of miles on it and is the designated plow rig its been rolled crashed bashed and loaded 10x over the towing capac. (no kidding) but id take a 600 over it hands down...they told us the 600 was quicker then the 700 when we bought it....

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have the 02 500ho not a bad bike but i have to say one thing if u try fallowing a honda 350 forget it the sportsman is just to heavy to go through the snow that the smaller bikes do but when we hit a lake i got no prob goin by all of them

·
Registered
993 Posts
2001 400 sportsman

better than the hondas and other machines in it's class i think!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I beleive I have done everyhing possible to my 1995 Polaris Sportsman.
www.scrtc.com/~mrsw

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an 01 500 sp. VERY good machine. I now have an 03 600 sp that I love.
Ran like crap when I got it and the fuel usage was sad. I went up 10 on the main
raised the needle 1 notch backed the air mixture screw out 1 and 3/4 turns and put in a k&n filter. After doing all of that it doubled my fuel milage and it will eat a 700 sp. There is less vib. from the engine than a 700 also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 03 600 with a HPD pipe (can only) k&n, HPD air box scoop 700 belt reclutched with diffrent weights and springs 27"radial outlaws. I can tell you I love my 600! Would I spend the extra money for a 700? No most likely not the little bit of top end is just not worth it to me. I can count the amount of times mine has been in the high side on one hand. But I can say I have never been left stranded by "Tank" either. She has gone through one battery which was due to my error not the quads. But the one thing I would never leave home without is my winch. Would I like a 800 yea but I will keep the 600 for now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My dad has a blue '03 700 that I sometimes ride. It is mostly used for plowing snow and general yard working stuff. The dealership has a new 800 that I would LOVE to have! They really look much more "sporty".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts