Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok I have been wantin the Pred bad for a while, then we went to Young America Madiso and sat on the YFZ, and I like the position of everything better than the Pred.... But I was wondering if you can tell me what one to go w/ because the YFZ seems like a lil more $$$ for a lot more QUAD... Just askin for your 2 cents, and also can I what one is easier to handle, for being the first sport i bought, cause right now we have a '01 Trail Boss and what one would take trail ridin the best.

Thanks
L8R

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Predator is one hell of a woods machine. Your money you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The Yamaha is an awesome quad. In my opinion you still get more for your money with the predator. Wider arms, heavy duty axle, steel braided brake lines, douglas wheels, maxxis tires, long travel rebuilbable suspension, an an easy to adjust chain with a concentric and pinch bolts on the swingarm. plus an $800 less price tag.

If the Predator was about 50 pounds lighter it would be the perfect quad.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
well the pred dropped 10-15 pounds for 04 .....if they further the ingenuity like the supposed predator 450 venom for 2005 then we might have ourselves a yamahonda eater....TLP

·
Registered
242 Posts
preadtor will go the distance very fast best all around steady good at jumping great on trails and the yfz i hear you have to change the pistons everytime you change the oil and if you dont change the pistons your gunna have a engine problem thats why peoples yfzs are blowing up .

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Waitaminute... since when do you change out the PISTON (which requires disassembling half the motor) at each oil change??? I don't think so.

Rob

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
He prolly drives a civic. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yamahas blowing up?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Well...as long as you dont have to change th eoil you will be ok.......Dude, how can u be that gullable to think that you have to change the piston every oil change, do you under stand that would be like a 150-200 dollar fee everytime you changed the oil??? Im still venting from hearing this.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
The YFZ doesn't need to have pistons replaced any more than the Predator. I don't know where you're getting that info from but it's not even close to reality.

Anyway, I have been riding with my friend who has a white YFZ and I can answer your question from my experiences over many years of racing/riding many different ATVs.

If you are wanting to race hard core motocross, and money isn't as much of an issue, I would go with the YFZ or new Honda.

If you are wanting to race once and a while for fun, and play on the trails roosting your buddies, the a Predator is a good choice. It's a good value for what you get and the money saved can be made to add more power.

All of this top speed talk and minor differences between quads don't mean anything if you're not in shape and a good rider. That's the biggest difference between being on the podium not which company makes the quad.

The only thing I can suggest is to ride one for yourself and see which you feel more comfortable on. Don't worry if one has a better torque curve or highest horsepower because either one can be built fast enough to satisfy your needs.

But then... WTF do I know? ;-)

·
Registered
114 Posts
YFZ450 IS A GREAT QUAD BUT ITS NOT PERFECT! IVE SEEN 2 BROKEN SWINGARMS ALREADY. PLUS MY BUD JUST GOT HIS YFZ450 BACK FROM THE DEALER FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS (STARTER IE: ELETRICAL ISSUE'S).
HE'S HAPPY WITH IT STILL! ALL QUADS HAVE ISSUE'S......

I'VE HEARD NOTHING BAD ABOUT THE POWERTRAIN...... RUMORS?...:)

IF U GOT THE $$$$$$$$ SPEND IT!

THE SEAT IS HARD AS H*LL!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
IF IT'S FOR TRAIL RIDING THE ONLY ONE TO GO WITH IS THE PREDATOR, IF IT IS FOR DUNES EITHER ONE. I RODE A YZF450 IN THE DUNES AND THE RIDE WAS HARD AS A ROCK IN THE SAND, IF I WAS ON A TRAIL I WOULD HAVE FELL OFF. ALTHOUGH. I FOUND OUT THE PREDETOR IS WIDER THAN THE EX400 IT IS THE BEST TRAIL RIDDING SPORT QUAD IN MY OPPINION.
I SAID TYRAIL RIDDING SPORT QUAD.

·
Registered
241 Posts
LOL! My brothers wife rides a trailboss....So either bike is going to scare the living crap out of you when you first ride them! I would wait till the honda hits the dirt, then decide between the three. The predator will be the best for the buck, especially if your just a recreational rider. It has plenty of spunk and agility in factory form and easily made wild too!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
THE YZF AND THE NEW HONDA 450 ARE RACE BIKES THE HONDA ONLY AS A KICK STARTER. ALSO THE PREDATOR DOES NOT HAVE REVERSE AND THE 400EX DOES'NT ETHIER

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Hey newbie, is there some reason you feel that you need to use caps in all your post? If you caps lock is stuck go get a new keyboard for 15 bucks lol.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i know i sound like a crackhead who ate too many paintchips but i read the same thing warning is saying somewhere. the changing the piston every time you change oil thing, it sounds like a wierd thing to do, what kind of crap piston can you afford to change that often. though i think it was related to an older version of the yammi 450 bike motor, not sure where i read this or how reliable of a source it was, not one id listen to much im sure. but for my preferences id go with the preddy, better for all around in my opinion, and the yammi seems to small.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Im thinking they must be talking about pure race bikes. Thats like saying take a shower everytime you cough.

·
Registered
43 Posts
out of choosing between a pred or a YZF450, IF you have the money, i would go with a YZF. i couldnt afford the YZF, so i got the predator, which has kept me very happy

1 - 20 of 53 Posts