Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESNT AND IF IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Despite what some crazy people think of octane and the use of super fuels, aviation gas, etc. it really dosent matter much. Pump gas is the only thing I will run in my quad, if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy buy premium, otherwise 89 will work fine (see your owners manual for proof from the people who designed the engine).

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I like to feel warm and fuzzy. :)

I swear i feel that 87 runs a bit better but find myslef getting 89 or 91. Prolly stick to 87 on my next preddy.

·
Registered
839 Posts
91 octane pump gas. Nothing special. You only need to start running race gas when you start bumping up engine compression. most race gas is leaded and not oxygenated and it will usually give you a more accurate plug reading. But there is no performance advantage on a basically stock engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have been running 86 sunoco in mine, its always like 6 cents cheaper than 87, the only place i can find gas that cheap is on the way to go riding so i always fill the predator up with the 86, no warm and fuzzy felling inside. but last weekend i decided i was going to put some sunoco cam 2 in her. It didnt run any better, The only thing that felt differnt was me, i felt like i burned because i paid 3.99 per gallon and it didnt make any difference at all

·
Registered
557 Posts
I run 93 octane in mine. I tried running 87 but it didn't like it in the summer heat or racing.

But I do love the smell of Race Gas.... that makes me warm and fuzzy

·
Registered
60 Posts
i run half pump gas and half 110 octane. it feels like it gives it a little more go, but i dunno. thats jus my opinion. Greg

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
all 110 does is burn slower and cooler so you engine doesn't heat up as bad, so that's what I've been told....I run 87, I've tried them all and the best power is with 87 ...I guess polaris knows what they're talking about. I do use 10 in extreme heat though

·
Registered
242 Posts
91 thats what i used i did use 87 or 89 or whatever during the summer and felt that it wasnt working out so i went to 91 octane and it runs better now i think .

·
Registered
205 Posts
Old news now but all engines burn the **** the same way. I'm in the Air Force and work with Aviation Fuels, Mogas(unleaded) and MUR(diesel) and Bio-Diesel(soy bean oil and diesel) The higher the octane the more you get for your money. I'm really thinking of trying the supreme at Chevron. With my car I get over a hundred miles more on a roadtrip. No ****! I was totally floored. it's worth paying 3 bones more to fill my tank up on my car. Anyway. like some of you said. The supreme gas will burn slower and put out the same pop. Proven time and time again. I think its strange that you guys noticed a bigger gain with the lower octane fuel. I run supreme because I want to keep my system clean and it's not that **** much more to put in the $1.69 stuff. just my thoughts and opinion

·
Registered
293 Posts
tmoreau, I work for a company and am required to answer some warranty questions, and guess what, it's company policies to tell the customer to use there equipment 1/3 as hard as the machine is capable of being used. You see, this way we see fewer returns, and spend less "out of pocket" cash. Plus, Polaris has the option to not cover motor work if you run higher than recomended octane. I think the manual from them even states not to exceed 10 mph on the bike, never side hill, pull the front tires off the ground, or junp the quad. (don't mean to sling poop in your face, just tring to make a point, sorry)

I did have to run regular in my bike for the first tank durring a 6 hour ride, and when I put in my supper (pump gas) I could feel a difference, that little extra pull you get on a 2stroke when it goes lean for 30 seconds before you blow it up. (have done it 4 time) That little extra pull is the diference in my bike with the gases.

Did all this crap make sence to anyone??

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sure, but some things (such as physics) just dont lie. Octane is not a measure of energy but of resistance to detonation. Its like the trim package on a pickup truck, leather seats do not equate to more hosepower. Stickers dont make a civic go faster and octane does not make horepower. There may be fuels that make more horsepower (like nitro-methane) but that has NOTHING to do with octane.

·
Registered
249 Posts
FOUR FUEL PROPERTIES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listed below are the four basic qualities of fuels. As in everything, there are trade-offs. You can't make a racing fuel that has the best of everything, but you can produce one that will give your engine the most power. This is why we produce different fuels for different applications. The key to getting the best racing gasoline is not necessarily buying the fuel with the highest octane, but getting one that is best suited for your engine.

1. OCTANE: The rating of fuels ability to resist detonation and/or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers, (RON), Motor Octane Numbers, (MON), and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). Pump Octane Numbers are what you see on the yellow decal at the gas stations and represents an average of the two. VP uses MON because this test method is more prevalent in racing. Most other companies use RON because it is higher ad easier to come by. Don't be fooled by high RON numbers or an average. MON's are most important for a racing application, however, the ability of the fuel to resist preignition is more that just a function of octane.

2. BURNING SPEED: The speed at which fuel releases it's energy. In a high-speed internal combustion engine, there is very little time (real time - not crank rotation) for the fuel to release its energy. Peak cylinder pressure should occur around 20° ATDC. If the fuel is still burning after this, it is not contributing to peak cylinder pressure, which is what the rear wheels see.

3. ENERGY VALUE: An expression of the potential in the fuel. The energy value is measured in BTU's per pound, not per gallon. The difference is important. The air fuel ratio is in weight, not volume. Remember, this is the potential energy value of the fuel. This difference will show up any compression ratio or engine speed.

4. COOLING EFFECT: The cooling effect on fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher the heat of vaporization, the better its effect on cooling the intake mixture. This is of some benefit in a four stroke engine, but can be a big gain in 2 stroke engines.

THIS COMES FROM VP'S WEBPAGE

·
Registered
253 Posts
cmc, how do we determine the burn speed of a fuel to see which ones are best, since in this case I think that's the most important factor? And how much does octane effect the burn speed of the fuel? For example, does 1 octane point increase slow the burs speed by 1 hundredth of a sec, or is the calculation more complex than that? Because in theory if we can calculate which fuels will burn until the crank is exactly at 20deg ATDC than that should make more power than one which is done burning at 5deg ATDC.

·
Registered
249 Posts
ripper - i'm not sure how to obtain these #'s on pump fuel. i was just quoting vp fuel's for arguements sake. different racing fuels will publish these # though. if i had to guess most pump fuels would be farely the same burn rate. i have ran vp ultimate 4 fuel and call me crazy but i felt the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
i've gotten the best results and response off of 87 octane that's what I run..... until I get my pred ready then i'll be running methanol!!(6 months away)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
wait a second tmoreau, this kid in town put 4 APC stickers, and about 20 other sorts of stickers and even one that said dont mess with texas on his CRX. He outran a ZO6 the other day, and is promising everyone that he is going to run circles around an 03 cobra a local guy has. Stickers do help!

·
Registered
284 Posts
YES APC stickers add 200 hp each!! Track tested!! I had 5 on my electric scooter that day when I outran that Weiand blown, bigblock, 950 hp, 69' Camaro prostreet up the road, and I didn't even have to hit the bottle!!!

Anyways, I ran straight 89 pump when it was stock
Ran Klotz 114 straight racegas when modded.

I'm not doggin VP or Sunoco (whatever) race gases, I may have just got some bad drums, but I have never had any luck with them, i'll stick with Klotz. It seems like a higher quality fuel. Even the sparkplug says so.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i've heard good things about klotz also - just not sure where to buy it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts