Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the maxxis rooster v-blades for my predator. I was wondering if there is any trick to how much air you put into it to make any sand tires work better for you. I know they probably are not the best tires in the world but I thought I would try them. So far in the snow covered sand they work pretty good. Would like them to hook up a little better though. Thanks!
-Chris

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Lower tire pressures will provide more traction... I would suggest starting out at 5 psi and go down from there. I run 6 psi in my Sand Skate IIs because they have taller blades than the Roosters (which I tend to think are too short for such a powerfun quad as the Predator, but they're still better than knobbies).

Rob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I get the pressure too low? I have them at about 3 psi right now. They came to me with 3.5 in them. I think your probably right though to go with the taller blades. Just didn't really have that much money to spend. Poop!
-Chris

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I think 3 psi is probably as low as I'd go on paddles because otherwise you might spin the bead on the rim.

One thing you could do is (a) put the wheels and tires on eBay or (b) buy new tires to put on those wheels, and then sell the tires themselves.

Next time I hit the dunes, I'll be comparing my Sand Skate IIs (V-blades) to Skat Trak Haulers (straight-blades) back to back and with a radar gun uphill to see which one is really faster. I'll post a full report here.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
The straight paddles should hook up better. That's what they were designed to do. The V paddles are designed for cornering, and they slide better also.

I used to run 2.5 psi while I had my '88 trx125, but then again, I could run a flat tire and not spin it on the bead! lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
i run 1.5 to 2 psi in the sand and have never had any problems, hell the stock tires want 3.5 lbs and your hitting rocks with those!!

some of my buddies let ALL the air out of their tires and have no problems. we bring a mini air compressor just in case

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I've been running 6 psi in my Sand Skate II's (V-Blade) and 5 psi in my Extreme Haulers. I also run 5 psi in my DuneTrackers (front tires). Once the weather warms up, I'll start reducing pressures, as the sand will get softer and I'll need more traction.

Yeah, I have a radar gun... what about it? :)

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
"OH MY GOD" I really need to get sand tires for my trip to Little Sahara on April 10, 11, 12, 13, don't I. I was debating whether or not to get them. I guess I'll have to get them huh. I wish I had a radar gun. jealous!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rob,
did you ever get those results from the head to head tests of Sand Skate II's and haulers?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ran 3 psi in my rear sand skate ll's at Glamis...... Once.
My rims looked like someone took a sledge hammer to them.
If you like to jump I'd suggest you stay at 4-5 PSI at least.
I ended up buying .190 ITP rims after that(had .125's prior). Still run at least 4PSI

Just my experience and .02 centavo's

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I have my straight paddles on .125's and I only run 2 pounds in them. I just like running all my tires really low. My rims do look exactly as Tres described and plus add all the extra fat on top of that(i weigh 260) and on my razorbacks I run around 7. I used to run 1 pound in my Gecko's. Those are the biggest piece of **** tires I have ever used in my whole life. You wouldnt be able to tell if it were flat cuz they were so stiff!!!!!! I made a whole 20 bucks off those tires! If I plan on actually duning with my straight paddles I pump them up real hard cuz it cuts the sand easier and makes it easier to turn:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts