Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scrambler 500 that has been a beast of a bike until last weekend. Its snorkeled, jetted, has oversize tire clutch, exhaust, and 29.5 swamplites. O and xplorer tranny. Was riding some water wheelies and something went pop. turns out that the chain broke and took a large chunk of the tranny and a few sprocket teeth with it. cause could be several things. I'm leaning toward swingarm bushings having some slack. Anyway, I'm really interested in convering to a magnum style setup. can anyone tell me why it wont work or hasnt been done yet. tranny is very similar as well as the swingarm. I understand i will need everything from the rear of a magnum. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Very interesting thought of the conversion. I'm not sure if it would be easier (mainly cheaper) to buy a Magnum and convert your Scrambler parts to it, or do the rear end swap.

The swap would take everything from the transmission rear because of the output on the tranny. The mounting bolts, output splines to the front, size, and swingarm mounting locations could be problematic. I say go for it if you find a trashed Magnum 325 or 330 as nobody really wants those anyways and they made them for quite a few years. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive looked a several photos and its looks to be close. Close enough to definitely investigate. Just need to get close enough to a magnum to take a few measurements.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
i think you would have to graft on the rear of the frame, even then it would have to be pretty exact for all the shafts to work out properly. if i was you i would look for a wrecked irs outlaw so then you could do the conversion with chain drive. like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
irs outlaw rear is something i will consider if this doesnt go as planned. I dont have a problem with some fabricating. I just need to get the measurements so i can decide. I'm already looking at having to buy another transmission because of my busted case. I do believe both the scrambler and magnum use the same swingarm bushings. Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as ive studied the pics of the two diff trannys, I realize that it most prob will not be an easy bolt-on. Not sure if there is another shaft drive tranny that is similar to the scrambler. There prob isnt. If not, does anyone have a magnum for cheap that needs work or something?

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
yes the sprocket would be on the wrong side if you set it as it is in the outlaw frame, but it could bolt end for end, or even upside down that is why i posted the pictures. i think it could be swapped any which way and still work the same. if you could find a magnum for parts you would be in good shape. i am just throwing out ideas to try and help. i have had scramblers, sportsmans and magnums and i just think it would be a lot of work to graft the magnum rear end and tranny into the scrambler frame. not that it could not be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice. We've about decided to rebuild it with the set up that i have in it. It worked well until the chain broke. Gonna change those swingarm bushings and try to find a high performance chain and sprocket setup that can handle the abuse that i put it through. Any ideas on a type chain that can do that? Also going to build a steel chain guard to protect the case instead of the plastic one that was useless.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
i have had great success with the DID gold 520 x ring chains. i have had 2 on my outlaw and one on my 600 predator and they have put up with a ton of abuse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts