Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 100-120 hours on my Predator, and after talking to a few people, I figured it might be time for a valve adjustment.

So today I pulled the machine apart and took off the valvecover, and got out the feeler guage.

The spec is 0.15mm intake and 0.27mm exhaust +/- 0.05mm.

I was able to put a 0.254mm guage under the exhaust lobe, and a 0.13mm guage under the intake lobes. That's well within spec, so I'd say mine are just fine, don't you think? I sure hope so, because my dealer wants four hours' labor to do a valve adjustment and re-tune... that's like $220.

This is definitely something I'll have to learn to do myself, no way am I paying that kind of money.

Rob

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah I have about the same amount of time on my pred if not more so I will check that out. Hopefully everything is fine because being injured doesnt help because I cant work.

Zack

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ok RobG, but how long does it take to adjust the valves? 30-45 MIN. If adjusting the valves is similar to my 400 ex it takes more time to get the plastic off than it does actually adjust the valves. Est. beer time 2 beers.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not the same type of setup as your 400EX. This is a shim-over-bucket design, since it's a DOHC motor and not a SOHC motor like the 400EX and many other quads.

The Predator, the YFZ450, the Z400/KFX400, and Cannondale all use DOHC designs which are all shim-over-bucket.

To adjust the valves, what you have to do is unbolt the cams and change out the shims that set the valve clearance with shims of a different thickness to get the desired result. Then you bolt everything back up and test it. It's a process you tend to have to repeat a few times to get it right. The upside is that they don't require adjusting very often, maybe yearly at most.

Rob

·
Registered
394 Posts
Pure Predator I over shot a double and jammed my hand on the handlebars and broke my wrist in 2 places. The Doc says about 6 weeks. I know I will be riding in 3 weeks I just cant go 6 weeks with out any of my pred.

Zack

·
Registered
557 Posts
So RobG, this may be a 4-6 beer project then. Overall it sounds like it holds up longer to having to be relashed like my 400 ex which is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts