Polaris Riders Forum banner

Type of oil for the predator

46K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Preddy81 
#1 ·
For quite a while, mostly last year, there was an ongoing debate as to just what kind of oil to use in the predator motor and just what the "thickness" was that Polaris was using. As in [Something w something]. It seems that there is no "w" rating on the factory recommended PS-4 oil bottle.

Well just this week, I was installing my nitrous nozzle on the carb boot and running all of the lines and wiring and lo and behold I look down on the top of the starter and there it is in plain English for the whole world to see, the manufactures engine label with all of the tuning info and the oil info.

Guess what it says?... Drum roll please.......the factory recommended oil is ...................................................................................................... 10w40..... !! LOL lOL.. Go figure!!

Just thought I would share my "discovery!!"

I have no clue as to why they would hide that kind of info way down in the deepest, darkest part of the motor/frame where you have to take half of the stuff out of the way to even see it?

#2 ·
Well, aren't you the little Spelunker? :)

Nice work and thanks for the info bob.

Take a picture of that NOS system after you get it all done. Let us know how it performs.........oh ya, hold on!!!

#4 ·
no...it still needs to be for a wet clutch application.

like amsoil 10w40

#5 ·
^^^^^ right, what he said^^^^^^

This was just to inform on the viscosity of the oil needed. That was one of the hotly debated topics of those threads.

Now the big question, how many of you guys went out to your bike to check if that sticker was where I said it was???? Come on fess up now!!! LOL

#6 ·
PS-4 is 0w40

#7 ·
where did you get that info from???

#9 ·
Sure enough it is there way to go Sheerluck Holmes. lol DZ Oh yeah thanks for the info.

#11 ·
I just switched my oil to atv extreme 5w40 and it seems to work great. I was told by my dealer that ps4 is 0-40. I figured 5-40 would not hurt and it is only $13 a gallon.

#12 ·
PS-4=Polaris synthetic 4 stroke

Polaris already has a synthetic 0w40 oil for the 500,600,700 sportsman quads. there would be no need to come out with a new one if that was the case.

As for what brand you use, that is a personal choice and they are all rather good to begin with.

Here is another pic of the sticker

#13 ·
while this is true that Polaris has a 0w-40 oil, it is not an oil that has the needed additives for wet clutch applications as many sport quads have. The 500,600,and 700 sportsmans only use oil for the motor. The oil used in the predator is also used for the transmission as it is a "wet clutch". The sportmans clutches do not use any oil as they are belt driven or "cvt" (continuosly variable transmission) clutches. So you see, 10w-40 may still be the recommended viscosity for the Predator, just make sure you get the 10w-40 or the 0w-40 that has the additves for "wet clutch" applications. The POLARIS 0w-40 does NOT have these aditives. Any clearer?

#14 ·
Sorry if I confused the issue. yes you absolutely correct in that you need to run an oil meant for a wet clutch application.

I posted that last post in a little hurry, and totally forgot that the sportsman quads oil requirements were different than that of the predators.Thanks for catching that.

The whole point to my post was not to say what brand of oil to use, but to inform people that had the question, "Whats the viscosity of the oil Polaris recommends for the predator."

The fact that there is no viscosity given on the bottle has caused some question to be raised.

#15 ·
so what you are saying is that the ps4 is the same as the sportsmans stuff but it has wet clutch additives in it.

OK so I have a question then. What is the diff between 0-40 and 5-40 10 and so on. Is it how thick it is. I mean if you are suppose to run 10-40 like it says then will 0-40 hurt it in the long run.

#16 ·
In the simplest of terms, yes it is how thick it is at certain temps.

No, the PS-4 and the (Polaris brand 0w40 oil) are not for the same kind of motor, they are not interchangeable.

While I have had no problem running the PS-4 oil, I know that other guys like to run something different. I would have no fears at all of running a good quality 0w40 oil as long as it is meant for a wet clutch application.

The Amsoil 0w40 comes to mind as a great wet clutch oil.There are many others that are just as good.

#17 ·
My Manual is in another state, so I cannot reference. And I don't want to go to Polaris's site to download it, but BOB, Does the owners manual give you a specific "safe" or recommended oil to use?

Also, Is the Amsoil 0w40 your recommendation or PS-4......you are the man when it comes to these things and I'm getting ready to change my oil and I don't want to hurt my preddy.

Thanks,

#18 ·
Either one is fine. I only brought up the amsoil because some guys do not like the Polaris oil or that it is too costly.

Of course, Polaris, recommends that you use their oil!!!!!

Simply put, I use the PS-4. I get it at a good price and it has served me just fine. BUT, if one is inclined, there are other oils out there that will do the same if not better job.

The big thing is to make sure that you get an oil the is designed for the application.

#19 ·
Thanks Bob,

So just get something good that has "wet Clutch oil"?

Sounds good. It's been sitting since May......ugh. I will have to at least change the oil and gas.

But we've already been through that discussion and I have all your recommendations on what to do when I bring her out of her home (toyhauler).

#20 ·
In response to mynewtoy, the differences between 0w-40 and 10w-40 and so on, is the viscosity (or thickness at a given temperature). The first number is the lowest rating, ie... how thick it is at start up temperature. The second number refers to the highest temperature thickness (since oil thins out as it gets warmer). As the quad is warmed up and ran for a while, ie... "rode hard and put away wet", you don't want your oil to be as thin as water, hence the 40 rating. The 0W or 10W cold start up rating is lower because you don't want the oil as thick as honey either when you go to start it. Therefore it is my feeling that me being in a cooler weather state (Minnesota) I prefer to use the Amsoil 0W-40 since the oil will be thinner upon start up than the 10W40 will be, yet will still be the same same thickness (40 weight) once I reach full operating temperature. I have been using the Amsoil 0W-40 since my second oil change two years ago. NO tranny problems either and I have an '03. Hope this helps.

#22 ·
Pure Predator thanks. I know that your oil has to be changed and all that stuff I just did not know what the numbers actually meant. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

#24 ·
About a half dozen year ago or more oil manufactures (with some government pressure) started putting additives in there automotive oils (slickem in laymen terms) to improve their lubricating capabilities, hence slightly improve gas mileage. Wet clutch motorcycles oils manufacturers don't add them. Do you really think a better lubricating oil is bad for your motorcycle engine? The only thing it might do is cause your almost worn out clutch to slip a little bit because of the better lubrication. Your clutch is about ready to fail anyway and needs replacement. Motorcycle oil manufacturers and dealers love to have you buy their high markup oils. They will tell you anything it takes. I've been running Mobil Synthetic in my motorcycle and quads (both 2 and 4 stroke) forever. Works great with nothing more than normal engine wear. No major failures. Pick you own weight range depending on your climate and riding style. Also the 0-30 and 40 weight oils have come out because of the much closer tolerances in the newer automotive engine. Most manufacturers have started recommending the 0-? oil in their cars for better lubrication on cold startups.

#25 ·
Sorry Desert Rat, but you have no clue as to what you are talking about. First off two strokes don't get there motor lubrication from the trans oil, it is from the oil mixed in with the gas.( So, you are saying that you mix Mobil One Synthetic car oil in with your gas!! LOL LOL give me a break!!) If that is so, then you really don't have a clue! LOL

Secondly, no oil manufacture recommends that you run their oil made for a car (with as you call it slick-em in it) in a wet clutch machine. They all make a specific product for that application.and more often than not the wet clutch oil is the same price if not cheaper price than the comparable oil meant for a car.

If you want to run that type of oil in your machine, that is your choice. But don't advise that other people do it and then say "oh, your clutch was going bad anyways that's why it is burnt up!"

And if you had bothered to actually read my first post at the top of the page, I was NOT trying to tell or recommend to anyone as to what brand or style of oil to actually run, but just offering what the manufacture recommends for the viscosity.

PS, I will not bother to post to this thread again, I have no desire to re-hash the 'which oil is better' topic again.

The answer is to run what ever you feel is best for your machine! If it works, great. If it blows up, don't cry to anyone if you went outside of the manufactures recommendation.

PB out!

#26 ·
PolarisBob, you need a two stroke lesson. Premix gas lubes the crank and the rod bearing. Gear case oil lubes the transmission and clutch. I stand by everything else I said. Started desert racing motorcycles and stock cars in the 60's. Sand dragging quads and buggies in my old age. Been putting golden spectro in my two stoke gas and auto oil in my KX desert bikes, Tecate 4, 250r and Quadzilla cases since the 70's. Put it in the 250r, 440ex, Banshee and Predator and buggy transmissions know. Used mobil sythetic in my machines since it came out along with a good part of the people I have raced with for years. Some are starting to switch to the new Castrol sythetic the last couple years. Suppose to be great stuff. Never had a properly adjusted clutch slip until it was at the end of its life. And by the way I'm a retire oil company executive (30 years). I know a little about oils too. We are all allowed to have opinions. Mobile I oil at Wal Mart is about half the price of Polaris oil at the dealership. Have a nice day!