Polaris Riders Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
That's some good information Pure Predator. I don't know about mynewtoy, but I appreciate it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pure Predator thanks. I know that your oil has to be changed and all that stuff I just did not know what the numbers actually meant. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The oil rating that applies to good wet clutch performance is JASO MA. Most motorcycle/atv formula's will state this on the bottle if they are to be used in a wet clutch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
About a half dozen year ago or more oil manufactures (with some government pressure) started putting additives in there automotive oils (slickem in laymen terms) to improve their lubricating capabilities, hence slightly improve gas mileage. Wet clutch motorcycles oils manufacturers don't add them. Do you really think a better lubricating oil is bad for your motorcycle engine? The only thing it might do is cause your almost worn out clutch to slip a little bit because of the better lubrication. Your clutch is about ready to fail anyway and needs replacement. Motorcycle oil manufacturers and dealers love to have you buy their high markup oils. They will tell you anything it takes. I've been running Mobil Synthetic in my motorcycle and quads (both 2 and 4 stroke) forever. Works great with nothing more than normal engine wear. No major failures. Pick you own weight range depending on your climate and riding style. Also the 0-30 and 40 weight oils have come out because of the much closer tolerances in the newer automotive engine. Most manufacturers have started recommending the 0-? oil in their cars for better lubrication on cold startups.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry Desert Rat, but you have no clue as to what you are talking about. First off two strokes don't get there motor lubrication from the trans oil, it is from the oil mixed in with the gas.( So, you are saying that you mix Mobil One Synthetic car oil in with your gas!! LOL LOL give me a break!!) If that is so, then you really don't have a clue! LOL

Secondly, no oil manufacture recommends that you run their oil made for a car (with as you call it slick-em in it) in a wet clutch machine. They all make a specific product for that application.and more often than not the wet clutch oil is the same price if not cheaper price than the comparable oil meant for a car.

If you want to run that type of oil in your machine, that is your choice. But don't advise that other people do it and then say "oh, your clutch was going bad anyways that's why it is burnt up!"

And if you had bothered to actually read my first post at the top of the page, I was NOT trying to tell or recommend to anyone as to what brand or style of oil to actually run, but just offering what the manufacture recommends for the viscosity.

PS, I will not bother to post to this thread again, I have no desire to re-hash the 'which oil is better' topic again.

The answer is to run what ever you feel is best for your machine! If it works, great. If it blows up, don't cry to anyone if you went outside of the manufactures recommendation.

PB out!

·
Registered
66 Posts
PolarisBob, you need a two stroke lesson. Premix gas lubes the crank and the rod bearing. Gear case oil lubes the transmission and clutch. I stand by everything else I said. Started desert racing motorcycles and stock cars in the 60's. Sand dragging quads and buggies in my old age. Been putting golden spectro in my two stoke gas and auto oil in my KX desert bikes, Tecate 4, 250r and Quadzilla cases since the 70's. Put it in the 250r, 440ex, Banshee and Predator and buggy transmissions know. Used mobil sythetic in my machines since it came out along with a good part of the people I have raced with for years. Some are starting to switch to the new Castrol sythetic the last couple years. Suppose to be great stuff. Never had a properly adjusted clutch slip until it was at the end of its life. And by the way I'm a retire oil company executive (30 years). I know a little about oils too. We are all allowed to have opinions. Mobile I oil at Wal Mart is about half the price of Polaris oil at the dealership. Have a nice day!

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
i've beeen using amsoil 0w40 fow a while now, tonite i'm gonna change it out for PS4 and see if i notice ny differeence. i have drag race this weekend and the amsoil dealer ws out on a service call that is why i'm using ps 4 t all otherwise i'd use amsoil........anywaays i'll post any differences i see shiftinmg noises ect.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts