Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that the default setting for the wheel size on the TrailTech computer is wrong for the Predator standard front wheel. I finally measured and calculated like the instructions state from TrailTech and the standard is off by a lot. The standard setting is 2155. If you use the B method to figure out you measure the wheel height, which on the predator is acutally 20 inches. It's really like 19 and 7/8ths. But 20 is close enough for me. The tire states 21 inches but that must be at full tire pressure or something. from the ground to top of mine is 20inches. Then you convert that number to MM, I used http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html web site to convert from Inches to Millemeters. Then take that number times PI or 3.14. The resulting number is what you need to set the WS parameter on the TrailTech Computer. The number I got was 1595. I can't wait to go riding now with the right number to see the differences. I think the speeds will be faster due to the faster rotation times for a smaller number. I'm also kind of mad at TrailTech for not setting the thing from the factory for the Quad or bike you purchase it for. I just assumed it was correct. And was wrong.

·
Registered
993 Posts
different quads have different size tires, not to mention all of us who switch to aftermarket tires. trialtech should not be blamed for you not following the setup directions when you installed there product.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You can very easily double check any and all accuracy with a handheld GPS.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The company surely should send a device for a specific model set up for that model. Otherwise why call it specifically for that model. It should just be called a generic model. Now maybe I missed that on the ordering but I'm pretty sure it said speciafically for Predator 500.

I love the TrailTech computer, I'm not saying I don't. I'm very interested to see or hear of how many people actually changed the WS setiing.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I changed mine for the unit used for the article. It's very easy. Both of the Trailtech computers I have, have been through some very rough times....they've never let me down. Top notch fit, finish, and performance. Punch in the numbers, double check them, and enjoy your gear. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think you order it for the specific bike due to the length of cable and such for the wiring.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess your right. It's interesting, now when I drive I thought it would show speeds faster, but it's slower. Usually I can get to 60 easy in the dirt but today was just in the 50's. My thinking must be off on how it works. I'll have to see on the next ride how it is.

What does everyone else use as the WS setting on their TrailTech computer with stock from tires and rims?

·
Registered
429 Posts
You could hit 60 easy in the dirt? Where are you riding? I've got a GPS mounted on mine and can hit 50 pretty easy trail riding, but 65+ takes some effort.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think I was ever going 60 in the dirt, the TrailTech I think was setup wrong and showed 60+ in the dirt. It is hard dirt but really didn't seem that fast to me. Now with the new setup I think is more acurate.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was getting worried that something was wrong with my bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed mine a few weeks ago and did the wheel rotation measurement and came up with 1594. I have my Wheel PSI at 10 lbs. So I guess we are pretty close.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also did the calculations and came up the 1594.
I need to get on for my Scrambler now...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's cool we are all pretty close to the same. Did you Dano and Kippnidaho set it up right away or later? I guess maybe I am the lone idiot who thought it was correct from the factory.

Glad it's working now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nope, I knew it had to be adjusted because of wheel size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts