Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a mroe aggressive tire for the rear on my Predator. The Maxxi's just don't do it where I ride. Lots of rock climbs, mud, ruts and the like. Can anyone recommend a good tire that will do me right? Anyone already switch?

Scott

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ive got a set of Pure Sport Bandits on my Honda. They are a great tire for rock climbs. Long lasting too. Good luck with your choice. Please let us know what tire you go with.

RED

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I had Bandits on my 400EX and hated them. They sucked in the sand, they sucked in the dirt. IMO the best all around tires are either the Ohtsu radials that came on the 400EX, or whatever the Dunlops are that come on the Raptor. The Maxxis Razrs on our Predators are great for racing, but that's about it. They also suck in the sand... Rob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'm not gonna get rid of them. I just need to have some good mud tires for the winter/spring down at Windrock. I think the stock tires would be good the rest of the time.

Scott

·
Registered
249 Posts
hey Scott i ride in some pretty sloppy stuff also. I haven't tried them but i've been eying up GBC's mudsharks and maxxis' sur track. A friend put on some pure sport Realators. They seem to get good bite in the snow, but the ground is still froze here so theres not really any deep mud yet to put them to the mud test. good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the realters on mine. They work real good in the snow. Biggest downfall on these tires is the lack of side to side bite. they will slide very well! TOO WELL! But for straight line traction, they rock! Dont know about the mud yet, everything is still frozen, but so far im happy with them!

Oh, and you can only get them in a 22", so be prepared to buy some sprockets. I went to a 13t front, which feels good, but im also gonna add a 38t rear..alot of slow stuff around here, so i want the low end torque!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The ohtsus are good for traction but weak, they puncture easily. A friend had maxxis all traks on his warrior and they were good for everything. The tread is somewhat like a sport tire with the depth and bite of a mud tire. They deserve a look, i believe they only come in 22" also but i may be wrong. He had realtors on a scrambler before those, the main thing i noticed was that they seemed to want to dig down in deeper snow rather than float over it. Sound good on pavement, you get the huge mud tire humming sound.

·
Registered
343 Posts
OH yeah..you can hear me going for miles with the realters on pavement!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Also, unless you want to get 9" rims, i think you will have trouble finding the Ohtsus in the 10" size. Anybody have experience with the titan fast trekkers? The 20 inch ones have a wide center lug that looks cool and seems like it would work well. If they are a decent tire, they would be on my list since they are only around 40 dollars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i was thinking about GBC Mudsharks for when i get my Predator this summer.. any advice on them? i mainly ride trails with alot of mud and ruts, and hill climbs.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey Broke *******, (nice handle by the way) look at the Maxxis All-Tracs, they have large deep lugs and work well in various conditions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
haha thanks abotu my name... sad thing is its the truth.... i might be get a decent job so im gonna get one b4 i leave for Marine Corps basic training.. thanks for the advice on the tires. thats what i have heard from other people but i wasnt about which ones to get

·
Registered
993 Posts
I use the maxxis razr-2 on one of my other quads and find them to have much better traction than the razrs that the predators come with. The tires that are on them from polaris are made special by maxxis for polaris, thats why they have the pr on the sidewall for polaris racing. They are only 2 ply, the razrs you can buy from maxxis are 4 or 6 ply depending on which ones you choose, and the razr-2s are all 6 ply. I find that the razr-2 up front and the 4 ply razr in the rear is a great set up for trail riding on anything from loose, hardpack or grassy areas. The razr-2s have deeper lugs on them and are better in wet or muddy areas, but I feel that they have too much side bite and do not slide through corners as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,
Im kinda new at this and i was wondering what kinda tires i should stud and where i could find this stuff like all together? Also how would you stud them and would it be ok for just the back 2 or what would u recomend?
Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
F.Y.I. THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IT THE MAY ISSUE OF ATV SPORT (PAGE 12) FOR A NEW SET OF TIRES THAT SKAT TRACK MAKES CALLED THE DESERT STORM. THEY LOOK LIKE A CROSS BETWEEN A PADDLE TIRE AND MUDDIN TIRE. I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEWS ARE ON IT.

IS ANYONE USING ITP HOLESHOTS ON THERE PREDATORS? I HEAR THEY ARE GREAT FOR RACING BUT THEY ARE A SOFT COMPOUND TIRE AND WEAR OUT FAST.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The regular holeshots are a nice tire for all around use, however, like you stated, they do wear fairly quick. The razrs seem to last a-lot longer and have much better sidebite, the razr 2's have a little too much sidebite for my riding style, but a little better in wet/muddy areas. The mx holeshots are even softer and wear very quickly, like turf tamers. they work great from hardpack to slight loose conditions, but are not the best choice for every day riding.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up putting ITP Blackwaters on mine. They are awesome. Very good in the mud. I would recommend them highly. I also went to a 23 inch Kenda Claw in the front. It gives a little more clearance in the front and middle. I like this combination way more than stock.

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts