Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come there isn't anyone, or just about anyone one here running larger than stock tires. Everyone changes tread but not sizes, it seems to me.

I am wanting to go to 27" tires next time, but due to the lack of nobody else doing it, I wonder if I'm missing some bit of technical information that everyone else is aware of.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Speaking only for myself: the areas where I ride are tight with lots of rocks and roots, often I'm carrying a load of tools or pulling a trailer. Because of these conditions my Mv is never used in high range (OK, maybe a run across a corn field after we've finished chopping it). Despite the advantages provided by a larger diameter I'm more concerned about what I'd loose in gearing. I know that with proper clutching (something I need to learn a lot more about) you can get the acceleration lost to larger tires back, but I need to be able to go very slowly, without slipping/burning belts and I'm afraid I'd loose that, otherwise a set of 27's would look great on the Mv and probably help out getting over the rocks and through the mud.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Another reason may be that my stock 26" tires measure about 25.5". My buddies 26" bighorns measure out a hair over or a hair under 27". So thats a pretty good gain already without having to do the clutching.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm running 27 mudlite XTR on my 07 sportsman500 X2 great tire lots of grip and lots of clearance

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SpX2, you got any pics of them ??? I like those tires, but they are a radial and they are exspensive. I have radials now and I keep tearing them.

MV7 - I have asked alot of questions before about this and to the best of my knowledge, yes, you will lose a little speed, but going up only one sixe is a good trade off, more traction, more ground clearance and a wider stance all for a little loss of speed. I was thinking that you only start having clutch and mechanical problems after you go to 28's or above.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I want 26" Bighorns for my SP800 but haven't had the money for 'em yet. I have 25" Bighorns on my Grizzly 660 and when parked side by side you can see them being easily 1-2" talle than the so-called 26" stock PXT's on my Sportsman. Yikes.

I'll admit I'm a little concerned about the clutching after I do it; I may need to do some reclutching. I'll wait and see how it goes.

Rob

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ronnies.com sells a Primary (i think) that is made for up to 27" tires. They say that the stock clutch is put together very well and that this is all that is needed up to that size. Heres the statement-

"Fits Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Stock Tires

If you intend to stay with the stock tires on the new 800 EFI 4x4, we have found it is very well calibrated in stock form for most conditions. If our testing does not show significant gains in belt grip, acceleration or speed/back-shifting without negative trade offs somewhere else in the power band, we prefer to simply use the stock calibration. There is nothing wrong with the fact that is has good clutch calibration from the factory. This model performs very well considering its total dry weight and stock tire size/configuration. Sometimes clutch set ups that feel better are simply NOT better when properly field tested.

Oversized Tires

The stock 800 EFI comes with 25” tires
If you choose to switch to heavier, more aggressive 26” with 10” wide fronts, etc., and most 27” tires the 800 EFI will perform better by simply adding our Orange/Blue (Part #DPPSO/BL)
Primary spring for all 28” and up tires use complete kit (Part #DP 800EXT)
We simply prefer to not sell you more than what you need"

Heres the link to the spring- http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/eshopprod_cat_3258-28192_product_379011.POLARIS_SPORTSMAN_800EFI_DALTO.htm

Considering I am going to probably going to go with a 26" or 27" bighorn, this is probably something I will purchase with them.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have also read on other sites that sell clutch parts that up to a 27" the stock clutch is good on the 800

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shakin,

Do u know how much that spring is Orange/Blue ???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm curious why you want to get a taller tire?

What is the advantage of the additional height?

Do you need more ground clearance?

It is my opinion that changing to taller tires is like opening a large can of worms. In my experience changing to bigger or taller tires puts additional stress on ALL suspension components.

Cv joints wear out quicker, breaks wear faster and stop slower, tie rod ends unless beefed up will bend sometimes from the strain placed on them. All the bushings will be additionally stressed and wear out quicker. Springs and shocks will need to be modified to compensate for the greater weight difference.

Body roll when cornering will increase by the change in the center of gravity on the quad making it require more effort to control the quad which will tire out a rider more after a days riding.

It affects the final gear ratio requiring you to compensate for loss of power by reworking the clutch and looking for ways to increase engine output to turn these tires.

It also affects fuel mileage for those guys who like to make long trips.

So once again I ask, why do you want to buy taller tires?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outlaw, I'll tell you my reasons, I dont know about anyone elses.

For one, I do want more ground clearance. I also want a wider stance, which does in some forms, makes the machine more stable. I will get the wider stance from the tires plus the offset on the wheels that I will choose.

Out here, we run lots of mud holes, I dont climb hills, I dont like to flip over. So I want the clearance to assist in not getting high centered in mudholes.

I am considering only 27's because I know that people that go "extreme", such as 28, 29, 29.5, 30, etc. run into all sorts of mechanical issues, such as what you have discussed.
The power-loss/top speed trade off for one tire size is worth it to me. I think that going fast on a machine that isnt designed for speed is dangerous anyway.
My machine already uses more fuel than most, so I already carry extra, I dsont think there is going to be a huge difference in one tire size jump. I would htink so if I went 3 sizes up, but not one.

Thats pretty much my reasons. I think it will work best for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like you have it well thought out. Looking forward to the new tire report and pics.

·
Registered
129 Posts
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. 4x4 Stock-
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x236/HighTechRedneck007/Polaris%20Sportsman%20500%20HO%204x4/?action=view&current=e8aa.jpg

25" Goodyear Rawhides next to 27" Maxxis Mudzillas
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x236/HighTechRedneck007/Polaris%20Sportsman%20500%20HO%204x4/?action=view&current=6149.jpg

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. 4x4 with 27" Maxxis Mudzillas and 2" HL Lift Kit-

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x236/HighTechRedneck007/Project%20Bad%20Sportsman/?action=view&current=Sportsman6.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Outlaw50 has some good points and is correct with a lot of that, but it also just depends on the terrain you ride and what you use your atv for.

My first atv, a 2003 Honda Rancher 350 S 3x4 sometimes 4x4 I changed the tires out on it to some 26" HL Outlaws on 12" ITP Delta Wheels. No other modifications done other than front and rear tow hooks and a 3k black max ratchet winch. I will say 26" tires will kill that size atv motor. I could barely turn them so I got a K&N Air Filter. Helped a little, but not much. So I ended up trading it in for the 04 Sportsman 500 HO I have now. When I traded it in it had almost no brakes (normal for most hondas), pull start didn't work and the wheel bearings were shot. Why? Because of the terrain I rode my atv on. Mud, water, trails, donuts, wheelies, rocks, the whole 9 yards. I just never got time to work on it before I traded it in. So that shows you that if you mud and ride in deep water it will wear down parts faster than normal like Outlaw50 said.

Now on my Sportsman 500 HO I added tires and lift due to the mud I see on the trails I ride and I need the extra ground clearance for where I ride at. Just a month or so ago I ripped a CV boot, killed my starter, clogged the radiator with mud and flooded my pull start. Mud and water riding took its toll on it. I haven't fixed the CV boot yet as i'm going to get some Gorilla Axles for the front, I ordered and replaced the starter and battery, I pulled off, cleaned, and sealed up my pull start, and I still have to pull off my radiator and either clean it real good and flush it out real good or buy a new one and then either relocate it to the front rack or put it back in and put a radiator guard on.

Best quote to sum it up is "You gotta pay to play!"

All the people running the extreme 28",29.5",30", 31" tires most of the time don't tell you all the parts they broke and had to replace. Which is why i'm right now re-thinking the setup of my atv.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree, terrain would be a major factor. Here some of the time I get on 3 tires and a fear factor going when I feel it tiping. A wider stance would be helpful, but I dont think I will raise mine, or get bigger tires.

Yea and the breakage factor.
Anyone know anything about the dirt tamer tires?

I've been thinking about aluminum wheels, are they any lighter that the stock steel wheels?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/wheels.do?pageNo=2 Wheels

http://www.atvpt.com/gbcdirttamer.htm Tires

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have any of you ran the kenda bounty hunter radials? I have read good and not so good reports on them. Any of you have first hand experience with this set up?

tomtom

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the 27" XTRs on my sp 800. I really like them for snow and mud, and sometimes even sand, but for a hard trail I can feel the differenc in steering effort and ride quality. Sitting on the trailer next to my buddies 700 sp with 28" ITP 589s, my 27"s were taller. I was told by ITP to run 7psi in the XTRs and I think this is the reason. For my next ride I'll try 5psi and give a report. I like the tires, but I'm glad I kept my stockers for the dry season.

If I were going to do it all over agin.
-26x10x12 mud lites front on alloys and 26x12x12 rears on alloys.
Or big horns or terra crosses in the same size. Like said before stock tire size and aftermarket tire size don't seem to match.

By the way my XTRs measure just over 27.5" on concrete.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is a pic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry about the last one, this should be the right pic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Most of you guys are running bigger engnes but... I went from stock 25's to 26" XT's. It looked awsome but, that little bit was more than all the clutch tuning could handle on a 400. I lost 7 mph on the top end (using gps not the quads speedo) and spent most of my time in low range. I bought clutch kits, spent a day swapping springs and making multiple runs down a set section of road but nothing could get it back. Went back to the 25's and bam now I got a snappy little clutch setup with plenty of power. So I am staying put.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts