Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. a little survey. What pressure do you run your tires at? I run at the recommended 5lbs. in all 4 tires. Reason I ask is that my front right tire has a rim leak. When I run the 5lbs it takes less than a day to go flat. I have taken it to a couple of places and the first thing they do is run it up to about 25-30lbs so it's rock solid and then tell me there is no leak. I am putting a tube in it because I'm sick of dealing with it. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I run 5 psi in the radials. Less for sand riding like the Silver Lk dunes.

I tried 7psi thinking it would handle better (less roll) for sport riding but it was too harsh for the rutted trails i was riding at the time.

Jim

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not sure about a tube, if you get a flat on the trail you can't plug it.SOL at that point. There is a lot of pros and cons to slime but you might be better off. .02

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's my fear with a tube also. I've read on other forums some pro's and con's about slime. I guess there is no easy answer you just have to take your chances either way you go. If I'm going to replace tires and / or rims I'd rather do 4 at a time rather than 1 unless of course I shred a tire or destroy a rim.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't put anything in a new tire but after the first flat, I'll put anything in to help keep it up. I had 4 cans of fix a flat in one of my 489's when I replaced them. Wheel was slimy no corrusion? Cleaned the wheel.New tires good to go. Two cans of fix a flat in the box just in case...

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I run 5 psi in mine... seems to be the best combination of ride quality, handling and traction. I run the same pressure in my Bighorns on my Grizzly.

Rob

·
Registered
800 Posts
I run 5.5 in the front and 6 in the rear. I have the constant leak problem as well. I am going to get some slime before long or I am going to get some new Swamp Fox tires.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I have to say, in my opinion, slime is some of the worst stuff to put in your tires, not only does it increase your rolling resistance, but it is a pain when you change tires....although, it can help balance your tires if they wobble...

I recently replaced some tires on my friends Wolverine, he had slime in there for quite awhile, like 5 years, it was in chunks...it was no longer slime and it was a mess to clean up, he could hear it when he rode...

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I wouldn't use Slime either except in an emergency, same with fix-a-flat but I'd rather use that than Slime.

I carry both on long trail rides just in case, along with a plug kit and that's my preferred method of fixing flats.

If its a rim leak I would just take it in and have it cleaned and reseated.

Jim

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think that is why my tire leaks, I think there is something trapped in the bead. I have been told that you can wrestle ATV tires on and off the rim at home ?? Have any of youg uys done this. I have taken wheelbarrel tires on/off with a ratchet strap.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Find the leak with soapy water then break that bead down and clean it with liquid tire buff or brake clean on a rag etc. Get a small can of bead sealer from the local auto parts and brush that on the rim and tire bead, then reseat the bead. No more leak......

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I would think it would be extremely difficult to break down an atv tire without the proper tools/ equipment.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its not that hard. I took my floor jack put the tire/wheel on it and jacked it up under my drop hitch. Lots of soapy water and 1 beer and the bead was broke.I have a couple tire irons from years ago but a couple big screw drivers will do the rest. Just be sure to have the bead in the center of the wheel as you take it off/on. to get air back in put a ratchet strap around the outside,in the middle and crank it down to expand the bead out against the wheel, when the air presure comes up take of the strap. be careful if you have in to much pressure it will try to get you. I installed 4 new tires in my back yard in less then 2 hours and 2 beers.
You don't need to remove the tire just clean the bead lube with dish soap and pump her back up.
Don't forget to remove the valve core>>>>>>>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Currently I have 5 PSI in the rear and 6.5 up front to help reduce some tire roll on fast corners.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like quad daddy's method (beer) but screw drivers aren't the best tire tools. I think Slime is a quality product, and I use it without reservation. But that's here, where cactus thorns are a constant issue. To dismiss it as saying it might not stay a liquid is foolish. If you want hundreds of plugs in you tires ... ok. But as for me, I'd rather ride than fix tiny holes, which slime does very well. The tire shop I used to swap tires last weekend agreed, it does work. Messy? YES, but what the heck. That's one of the reasons why I paid them to do it.

However, in you case, in Michigan. I would do as others have suggested, and find the leak! Tubes suck! That's why they invented tubeless!

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
more power to you.
I would sweat out 4 beers and it would take me about 3 -4 hours to do it myself!
Tryed it on a trailer tire once!
I'll just pay someone $20 to do it for me at the tire place....

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts