Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever been there? I'm going there next weekend for the first time. From the looks of the pictures it looks like its going to be a blast.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Badlands is a fun place to ride. It is not true sand (more like a fine pea gravel)but it is close. the hills are a blast to climb. don't make it... hold the front brake and bury the rear and get off. Be careful on some of the hills up front. There are some that are peaked at the top and are just as steep going down the back side as going up the front.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Haven't been there yet. Do you guys know when they are open and requirements, like flag, helment, registration, etc. Don't live too far away from it just waiting to get some friends together to go. Hey Braff1 do they have wide open trails? I like the really open trails, what other type of trails do they have bro?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks for the help man. Would a dirtbike be any good there, or would it be too hard in the pea gravel?

·
Registered
184 Posts
www.badlandsoffroad.com You need a flag and a helmet, no alcohol (they check your coolers) I think they open at 9 or 10am and are open until about 5pm. Most of the trails are fairly tight woods but some are a little more open and there are a bunch of open gravel areas where you can open it up a little. A lot of people take thier dirtbikes there. Its a fun place and I'm sure you will want to go back.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went there last saturday and it rocks! I can't wait to go back! I'm kinda mad at myself for being so stupid, I got cocky and tried this huge ass hill that was completely vertical with a rock at the top. I ended up making it to the top but hit the rock flipping me backwards. It bent my grab bar and rear plastics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it on video but I need to go buy some stupid cable so I can put it on my computer. I got some pictures but they arent too great. Check my website in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is awesome. I grew up and graduated the next town over, before it all got started. I now live about a 100 miles Nort of Kansas City om the Missouri/Iowa line and a bvunch of us venture out ther once a year. Just got back from there a two weekends ago. The best time to ride is on a Friday and the go watch the crazy ass people on Sat. This year we watched the EROc rock cliumbers on Sat. and it was some serious, insane people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
a little bit of a late post...but thought id throw my 2 cents in.

badlands is truly and awesome place to ride! (its 3 hours going 75mph for us, up in dekalb IL)

its great because the terrain varies so much...muddy hills, rocky hills, sandy hills...you name it! we also ride silver lake up in michigan, its nice, but after getting back from little sahara oklahoma we havnt gone back yet... (lol 500 acres compared to THOUSANDS of acres just dosnt compare) but SL is all sand...so you can cover the whole place in about an hour... but at the badlands, we usually find new trails or spots we have never hit every time we go! (were not regulars, but we have been there 7-8 times, so we know the place pretty well)

any of you on the nothern illinois trail riders site? (im registered, but dont post there, if find more local riders i wouldnt mind meeting up with some and hitting some of the local riding areas! i konw they hit the badlands/siler lake pretty often.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
we drove to the badlands a few years ago when i had my banshee.... some nice woods trails with some huge whoops and lots of variety........ trails, mud , sand , pee rock, hills that are wicked steep i recommend for a rider who does all kinds on riding, almost everyone owns 2wd wheelers so the sportsman with the mud tires made them OOO and AWWWW when the water and mud went over the racks ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I go to the Badlands prolly 3-4 times a month depending on work. No matter what terrain you like to ride, they have it. You could ride around all day and still end up in a forrest or on a path not know where you are. I love the sand hills there. There are some good jumps if your not afraid to go balls out to hit 'em. If anyone is heading there on a Wednesday or Saturday PM me. Sometimes I go alone if my buddies can't make it and I prefer to ride at least with someone, although you can usually find people there to ride with.
I meet quite a few people from different places there. Anyway, I'll post some pics next time I go. Got some on my phone but might be a pain to post. Later.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
if you guys like the badlands.....then check out redbird in dugger indiana.its state owned so you have to register your quad...they have some really cool trails and hills.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My brother whet just went last sunday and said there really wasnt that many people there. Which kinda surprised me, but he did say that he saw more predators than anything else. Any of you see him? He was on my TLD and his buddy that went has a LE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1&page=1

here's some pic's of the badlands if you want to see what some of it's like

http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=24

and here's some pic's of the dnr park redbird

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah I second Redbird, almost like a smaller version of badlands.

General how far are you from there? im only like 10-15 min down the road.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i`m in clinton.....its about a hour drive for me.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
my quad ain`t registered though.when i was riding redbird it wasn`t controlled by the state.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I did a review for my website:
http://www.quadpit.com/stories/badlands/bland-01.html

It was about four years ago so information may have changed since then but the photos will give you an idea about what it's like?

I had a great time there and recommend it for experienced as well as first timers. There's terrain for all skill sets and plenty of hill-climbing challenges.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts