Polaris Riders Forum banner

that darn chattering sound

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  predator03 
#1 ·
i've come to one conclusion, when lugging around in any gear that terrable sound can be heard. It has to be chain related. if a tranny made this much noise I,m sure it would be locked up by now. actually the white bros. pipe fixes this sound quite well. if it is the chain slappin is there any aftermarket chain tensioners that can be put on without hassle to eliminate this sound. or if it isn't the chain then what is it? and how did you fix it? I'm not stupid, I just figured if one of you already had the answer then no sense in me trying to figure it out. thanks guys

#3 ·
I suspect what you guys are hearing is the bracket that holds the rear brake caliper on. Mine is loose and it rattles like an SOB at low speeds and certain RPMs.

To find out, grab the rear brake caliper and wiggle it up and down. If it moves, odds are good this is it. I've asked my dealer about it and they don't seem to concerned about it, which is frustrating because I want the noise GONE.

Rob

#4 ·
I was having the same problem and fixed it by adjusting the chain. Once I did that the noise was gone instantly

#5 ·
when you lug the engine, it bounces the chain up and down on the chain slider. I think that is what you are hearing, gary at the superbike shop has a new chain wheel that will eliminate most of the noise http://www.esuperbikeshop.com/The_Store/PredatorParts/U_Need_em/u_need_em.html

#8 ·
ya i have that when i shift up into second gear or when im making a trun and than geting the speed back up but once the speeds up it dosent rattle or whatever any more does any body have any sugestions that i can look at

#9 ·
Is this the sound that makes when I shift from a low gear to a high gear? I am getting a knocking sound when I am shifting, It seems to me I am not a a certin RPM when I shift that it is taking time for the trany to catch up, so it knocks. It is a terriable noise, it only happens when I am shifting from a low gear to a higher one for a breif second, but it is very noticable. Any suggestions on what to check? I have about 5 Hours on my Machine. Also I am having a terriable time shifting into Neutral while the machine is running. It is fine when I shut it off goes into neuatral with no problems. This is my second Predator I have owened (Long Story) and both my machines did this so I am thinking it is a Predator problem not the owner.

#10 ·
I get a clanking sound from the chain when I'm in too high of a gear the the RPMs, just shift and it stops or rev up the motor. The nuetral thing the dealer told me would slowly get easier to get into and he was right, I have about 15hours on 2 preds now and it is much eaier than the first 5-10 hours. It was terribel then, keep riding and the buetral thing will get better.

#15 ·
Hey RobG,

Are you still having problems with the rear brake caliper bracket? I had mine replaced, rode it for 2 weeks, and it's as bad as it was. It's really wallowed out where it goes on the carrier. I'm gonna call the dealer again, but if there is another fix, I'd be willing to try it.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.