Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say that I took off the end cap with the spark arrester on it and made a new one. I took a piece of 1/8" steel and cut it to the size to match the end of the muffler. I cut a 2" hole in the center and welded a 2" piece of pipe to it that was cut at an angle so it would still point downwards. The sound has really changed for the better! I have yet to take the beast out and try it out, but I will tomorrow and I'll let you all know how it is. I'm hoping that this will be enough of a change to facilitate the slip on K&N filter. I know that bringing more air in faster means having to let more air out faster, so I think this will work well.

Also....this is a great site and I thank you all for the great info. Thanks Rob! >>>>Crypto.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i have the clamp on filter and stock pipe, just pulled off the spark arrestor and rejetted, it runs good now,, could be better if i dialed it in or the pipe was better, but thats to come still, waiting on what i want to come out

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your machine run better than it did before the filter change and end cap removal? I live and ride around 6,000 to 10,000 feet altitude. I really don't know what jet to use for it. I've spent my life riding dirtbikes, and due to an injury, I can't ride them any more. So now I'm on a quad, and I don't know much about them. But I do know that I love my predator. I'll have lots of questions coming! Crypto.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i pulled he end cap off not long after buying the pred, didnt like it, dont need it, makes it a little louder and sounds better in my mind. i put on he filer and jetting just recntly, it runs really good but im new to the whole car jetting thing, so its not quie right yet, a little rich and needs dialed in to get the best out of it. i wouldnt run the filter without any jetting changes though, would be way to lean and melt **** down. id rather foul out a plug figuring out im to rich than melt down finding out im lean.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So am I right in thinking that by adding the new filter you are taking in more air, so in turn, you need to re-jet to a bigger jet so as to also introduce more fuel? This makes sense. But what exactly is "Dialing in"? Thanks for the reply!>>>>Crypto.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a cone style clamp-on K&N style

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
you should prolly rejet for a drop in, the old story, more air more fuel, as for dialing in, my quad runs good now,, but there is more to be had from it, adjusting the idle screw and that sort, and fine tuning my jetting i now have every jet from 145 to 170 that my dealer has for a mikuni carb, so i can play with it till its perfect, then this winter when i get my new pipe i get to start all over again

·
Registered
525 Posts
Crypto: I have a picture in my profile on pred end cap. I change the end cap when I put the air-force kit in. I live at 5000' and a 150 main is a good place to start at. Just check your plug, and buy four or five of them. I use a clean plug when I get started on jetting. My mach runs great.

later

·
Registered
60 Posts
nope it sure dont.it actually give a little more throttle response and make it alot louder. i run mine with it off and i love it. Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.