Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, this would be my first post but i have been reading the forum for quite awhile now. But i have a serious problem that i need some help with. Today i was changing my oil and i was just finishing up and was putting the oil filter cover on. Well i put the the first two bolts back in the cover and was putting the last bolt on, the long bolt up front. Well when i was tightening the bolt it broke. I'd say probably about the last 1/8" inch of the bolt broke off into the threads. Does anybody know who i could take it too to get the rest of the bolt out so i can replace it. The threads sit way back in there and i have no idea how you could get to it. I never put alot of torque on this bolt, i have no idea why it broke, this really sucks. The other two bolts seem to have the cover on tight enough that it doesnt leak, but im afraid to ride till i get it fixed, **** i hope this isnt going to be costly.

Thanks to all that reply, all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Depending on how tight the bolt is stuck and how deep it is in the hole you could try a reverse drill bit to drill out the bolt or use a broken bolt extractor.

You could also try a machine shop to see if they can help if you don't feel up to it.

I would first look to see how tightly the bolt is stuck, if it is loose you might be able to get backed out with a small straight screwdriver.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
246 Posts
yah what he said sound like what i would do
good luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ask an auto parts store for a 'EZ out" kit, you drill a hole in the bolt with a regular bit, then screw in this other bolt backwards, it then catched the broke bolt and backs it out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
UM NO! Don't ride it, I can almost tell you what happened. If you put the oil filter in backwards the front bolt or the oil cover breaks, I broke the oil filter cover. The cover cost me $42, I would have perfered the bolt break... Any how, when my oil filter cover cracked I JB welded, and what not to no avail, I was in the middle of the desert wanting to ride, broke that tried fixing it for 4 hours, gave up and ordered the part. However do not even start the bike with only 2 of those bolts in, the oil pressure was strong enough it shot out the side of the cover and about 4 feet away from the bike, it really sucked. I don't know why the long bolt is that long but you'll need one thats the same. I would not try to just drill out the bolt as your' eat up the bolt threads when doing so then you'll end up needing a block, not a good choice. EZ Outs are used on cars all the time, most Car Quests have them I believe. Good luck, I feel your pain. There is not enough pressure on the cover o keep oil in the motor, you'll empty the case in about a minute if you attempt to ride it.
If you don't want to loose all the oil you have in the quad lift it up on it's side(right side up) and put some boards under it to prop the whole quad on it's side, you'll only loose about 1/4 quart when you pull the cover off, I would also suggest putting tape over the oil filter hole when your drilling on it to keep metal out of the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Do you think that they make an easy out that will fit in that hole. I wish the threads were not so far back that i cannot see what the hell im working with. If i cant get it out i wonder if a reputable machine shop would be able to do it fairly cheap. **** what a pain in the ass! Guess i will have to wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, they make an EZ out small enough to go in that hole. Take it from someone who has had the same mistake already man. Same bolt and all, mine broke off about half way inside also. Witht he EZ out, I thought the procedure was quite simple man. I'm sure that you'll be okay!!
Later Bro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts