Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that my K&N looks like it is getting cruched and kinda looks to have a twist in the filter area. Looks like the seat is hitting the K&N into the cross brace. Also my outerwear is getting torn up from hitting the cross brace. Anyone have a simular problem ? and is there a correction. Someone told me maybe use a peice of hose from the carb. then run that under the cross brace to the back to were the old filter use to be and then put the K&N back on. Any ideas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is your filter dirty? It will pancake if your filter is dirty.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Heapster was telling me of someone starting to sand down the ribs on the bottom of the seat, just above the filter. If you remove the side panels, and look around from there, and the rear, with the seat installed, you'll see.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sanded mine down with a Dremel. Worked well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Im not having much luck with mine either. It allows dust to escape around the edges. Ive never had luck with any non clamp on K&N's. If it wasnt for the stock filter costing me 18 bucks a pop, then I would stick to the stock filter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Twin Air and White Bros. have foam filters for the stock airbox JFYI

·
Registered
125 Posts
No your filter shouldn't be getting "crushed"........but my outwears is wearing in a few spot from rubbing on the bottom off the seat.....

Slightly grind off the seat splines a little, or you can also trim about a 1/4" off the end of the rubber neck of the filter which will allow it to sit and seat a little closer onto the carb.

The power gains of the clamp-on are phenomenal, 170 main made my first plug look perfect for jetting. I haven't put in my 50 pilot yet, but its in my tool box.......

·
Registered
32 Posts
What model# of K&N slip on are you using? I've browsed through a few posts that a different model # than the one I ordered. The Dynojet kit recommends the SN2550 which is the same one that is used on the DS650. It has a taper angle so it won't hit the seat. I've heard that some people try the round slip on, but from the carb angle it looks like it would hit the seat. By the way, I called all kinds of places to get the SN2550 and they all say they never heard of it. Come to find out it is a snowmobile filter.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
K&N RU1770

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is the RU1770 round or tapered?

·
Registered
86 Posts
RU1770 is round, the flange is angled @ 20 degrees.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm putting on the K&N SN2550 today, will know soon enough if there is a clearance problem...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Was there a problem?
I looked into the Hot Seat filter, but that suckers expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have gone on two rides with the SN2550 and there isn't any place that is crushed or even touching the seat. Works great! FYI the only place I found the 2550 was @ ondunes.com, I think it is affiliated with Ron Woods Racing (DS650 stuff).

·
Registered
217 Posts
My filter is not getting crushed, but there is something on the cross member of the frame where where the bottom of the filter touches that has put a hole in the outerwears. not sure what caused it but I will find out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts