Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice this problem yet? From what I can tell, it will depend greatly on your own individual weight as to how quickly it will wear, but I think it's going to happen to everybody.

It looks like the plastic hook that the strap that holds the tool kit in place is what pressing against the airbox lid.

This could be bad since the air filter takes in air from the bottom istead of from the top as on other quads...

Rob

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ive read this problem several times in other forums. I checked mine the day before yesterday and there is a slight wear mark on my airbox as well. I weigh in at 170 and Ive got 12 hours on my machine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I looked this seat/airfilter problem over today on mine, the seat hook was touching the air filter housing. I loosened the airbox screws and pushed the airbox forward then tightend the screws up, rechecked and now have approx a 1/4" clearance so try that guys. If need be you could elongate the holes in the airbox brackets to gain more.

I also tried the Scrambler hubs on the Predator axle, they fit fine so if you have a Scrambler and some other tires you can swap them to the Predator. I didn't measure the offset but it looked to be the same with either hub on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I thought about mounting a bracket to hold the box down just enough so that there is a 1/4 -1/2 of clearance....not sure if it is possible yet...gotta take a look

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have a hole wearing through the air box lid, contacted my dealer and a new one is on the way. polaris is covering the new lid. dealer said polaris isn't sure how they are going to correct the problem. thinking about going to off the carb. filter by k/n. wr

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same problem and I contacted the dealer I bought it from. He said that he had spoken to Polaris and they told him if he was to cut about 1/4" off of the bracket that is around the tool kit that would take care of it. I am at work and cannot put my hands on it but rest assured tomorrow morning I will check it as soon as I get home. I will keep you posted. If anyone else looks at this problem and see's that this might fix the problem please let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have the same seat caused airbox lid wear as described. I weigh 200 lbs. and have about 15 hrs. of moderate riding. I eliminated the problem by removing the airbox and adding a slip on K&N air filter. I have rejetted and am still working on my final settings, but it sure has made a difference in the power.
I feel it is the best way to go.

I live in So.Cal. in the Palm Springs area. I ride there and at Glamis, and thus I operate at sea level almost always. I'll post my final jetting settings when I'm finished testing. Oh, I also have stock gearing (38 tooth on order), and the W/B slip-on with 8 discs and the end plate installed. If I keep this set-up, I'll remount the airbox and convert it to a tool box or ???

It is a great bike with a ton more power available at the stock 500 cc size, if you are willing to experiment with the jetting. It is the best handling quad I have ever been on...

Later,

JJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey JJ, where did you get the slip on filter? Does that slip directly onto the carb. Also if you could give k/n's part number that would be awesome. thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
had a little were on mine i weigh 190 took tool kit out and bent plastic hook with pliers took about five minuets no problem

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
LOL> My dealer told Polaris he is going to keep on ordering over and voer for us everytime we have a messed up airbox then .......maybe they will fix the problem.. Im not sure what they relied with.... I thought it was pretty funny though

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last Labor Day, I was out at Sand Mountain just prior to the holiday weekend (I was out there getting ready to meet somebody for some trail riding), and there was a quad accessories trailer out there. I talked to him at length and he said he comes out for all the major holiday weekends. His name is Crazy Kevin.

Anyway, he stocks all sorts of cool stuff, and among them, dune flags of all types. I got one of the American Flag, and another of the black/white checkered flag. I got them with the larger-diameter mast and also two quick release things so it's easy to pop the flags on and off the quad, rather than fooling with tools.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just talked to my dealer about my seat wearing a hole in air box lid and he said that Polaris is having them rivet a piece of sheet metal on the cover. Also said that Polaris is going to issue a recall for this.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I just cut the hook off, when I first rode my quad about 4 hrs. it was already starting. the tool in the kit are pretty much useless anyway, so I just deleated the whole mess altogeather.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Delete the airbox and get a clamp on and you will never have to worry about it again. Besides, this way you can keep your little handy dandy tool kit in place. I have pics in my profile of what it looks like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone came up with a solution for the hole being rubbed in the airbox? I have trimmed about a 1/4 off of the hook and then it was rubbing on one of the seat reinforcing ribs which have since been removed with a rotary file. There is about 3/8 clearance until you sit on it then the seat collapses enough that it still touches in both places. Any ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts