Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you really tell the differance between Skat Trak Haulers and Sand Sharks? How much more of a differance is there?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
There is an ENORMOUS difference in the two tires. But they're really meant for different types of riding.

The first thing you notice is how little the Haulers weigh compared to the other tires. Next, the Haulers are a slightly smaller diameter, so it's like gearing down slightly. I think on my Predator it's a 200 RPM difference when climbing Comp Hill on my Sand Skates versus my Haulers. I'm turning 200 RPM more with the Haulers, which is good because it keeps me closer to my powerband.

The straight-blade Haulers hook so well that it's nearly impossible to turn under heavy throttle. You have to let off the gas to force the weight to transfer to the nose so you can turn.

I personally don't think it's nearly as much fun to ride regularly on the Haulers compared to my Sand Skates. I only use the Haulers for drag racing.

Rob

·
Registered
993 Posts
Like the above post states, I too say the haulers or the new extremes have the best traction in the sand. I would compare it to your stock tires on concrete. I also like the sand skates for all around riding. I only use one set of paddles for everything, so I opted for the 20x10x10 9 paddle extremes. Although the sand skates allow you to turn easier and slide a little better, I've always rode on haulers and like them better for where I ride. If you decide on the haulers, go with the extremes, same depth on the paddles, but they are slightly thicker. They flex much less than the regular haulers and will withstand a little more abuse for the occasional hard spot or crossing concrete if you have to. A 9 paddle extreme will give you the same traction/grip as a 10 paddle hauler.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
If you do plan on treading hauler or straight paddles to dune with then by airing them up to max psi it'll help you turn a little easier. or so I've found that it helps out when turning. IMO Sand Skate I's are the best paddle made. It seems that those paddle hook up well and are inbetween.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts