Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I was involved in a rather significant accident.
To summarize I went off a 25ft blind cliff.. broke my back, some ribs and a wrist. I was very lucky to walk let alone talk after that wreck.

I have retired that helmet... inside is soft now so I KNOW that helmets are very important pieces of the safety gear for this and any machine.

I have looked into different protectors myself but would like the input of anyone who really knows now.

Do the chest protectos (Body Armour) provide any added benifit in a wreck are they only as advertised protection form fly rock?

What other gear do people wear to prevent serious injury (outside of gloves)?

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
429 Posts
I recently overshot a landy and cracked a couple ribs on the bars. I wasn't wearing a chest protector, but I'm convinced it would have prevented it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just look at it like you're playing football, the more the better. But than again if I'm going rideing on a 100 degree day. And I know I'll be rideing real slow, no showing off also. Than I'm almost butt naked. One eye always on the other guy also, both eyes if it's a gal. lol

later

·
Registered
525 Posts
Shoei helmet-$530.00
scotts turboflow-$40.00
fox jersey-$40.00
fox pants-$150.00
matrix gloves-$25.00
tech 8 boots-$300.00
cool socks-$15.00
kidney belt-$40.00
knee/shin protectors-$50.00 & up
comp shorts-$25.00
elbowsavers-$25.00
race collar-$30.00
pressure suit-$150.00
bomber under shorts-$55.00
no fear chest protector-$130.00
radiator 3 drink sys-$40.00 (saved my back more then once)
total $1645.00

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well I wear a jersey, pants, knee and shin guards, elbow pads, chest protector, goggles, boots, gloves, and nerf bars. I think thats it.

Zack

·
Registered
525 Posts
Do'nt miss my point. The only gear (THAT I ALLWAYS RIDE WITH) no matter how HOT it's. And no matter how slow I go, is my radiator 3 drink sys. It's cool on my back. I always chill it, and it can save a life. HurtbutnotDead I feel for you, because I have been there. Plus the dam gas burns. Hope all will be well.

later

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hurtbutnotdead, I really have to agree with Chilly, My camelback has saved me many times! Once I was riding my KTM 250 about 40 mph over some slickrock and hit a fist sized rock and got thrown about 12 feet and landed on the back of my head and my back. I came to find out that my camleback ruptured open and covered me with Gatorade, but it really padded my fall! I also wear a chest protector when riding my Preddy. Like they heve been saying, the more the better. Just today I was riding up on an area we call the Flat Tops. I was on a long straight-away going what I estimated to be about 80 mph. When I got back to the truck, my friend pointed out that I had a huge bumble bee stuck half way through my vest! That really would've hurt going that fast! I also sometimes wear those wrist brace things that roller bladers wear. I find that they help in the wrist shock that comes with hard landings that off-camber jumps seem to have. I have been thinking about getting one of those neck pads too, but I don't know yet. The best thing to have in my opinion is a good pair of moto-cross boots. I would'nt ride anywhere without them! But I have to go with the more the better attitude. It may get hot, but it feels so good to take it all off at the end of the ride and drive home in one piece! Crypto

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
agreed, more is better, i always go with the helmet and goggles, in race or anything half way agressive i break out the nemeses body armor has chest protector and wrist guards, and the mx boots. i wrecked once before the armor and cracked a rib.. since i made the purchase of armor no crashin so far, not that i want to test it out, but im sure its better than nothing

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess that is more that I need to buy before I get back on the bike again... ontop of the parts to repair it and a new helmet... not sure I need to complete the list as I don't ride anywhere as agressive as many of you sound but the chest protector and the camel back both sound like excellent ideas...and maybe the wrist braces.

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
73 Posts
helmet and chest protector all the way i broke 3 ribs on my old 250r by jumping and crashing into a parked van (long story) since then i dont ride without one and have hit the bars a few times cracked some of them but no prob with ribs i also wear a knee brace (had surgery on one knee in high school from football) they aren't really essential just piece of mind and they are pricey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts