Polaris Riders Forum banner

Rumored overheating problems

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  scott_b 
#1 ·
Im starting to read this everywhere. Owners are becoming nervous because even though its still winter time, the fan is kicking on often. Heres my thought on it...

Page 3.6 of the Polaris Service manual states that the fan kicks on when the water temp reaches 180 degrees. The red light is lit at 221 degrees.

Now, the predator motor has no cooling fins, it relies on the coolant to keep temps down. Now, consider the predator to have such a large bore, four valves and DOHC, its not gonna take anytime at all for water to get up to temps.

Take my example; does your car have an electric cooling fan? If so, id be willing to bet that it doesnt kick on until the water temp is WELL past 200 degrees.

Personally, I think we should be thanking Polaris for setting the fan to come on so soon. :)

#2 ·
Yeah that's nothing to worry about, rad air scoops are available now. Lean A/F ratio's will heat them up though. Not sure but there may be a thermostat on the motor so they run at the proper temp..

#4 ·
That's cool, My manual is out in the shop right now. So they do have a thermostat, nothing wrong with that.

#5 ·
One thing I've noticed is the coolant leaking out of the overflow bottle cap. I figured out a way to prevent it. As you notice the cap is on a 45 degree angle & with where the vent hole is drilled in the center of the vent cap it will puddle up and then splash out. I found another plug and drilled a 1/16 hole in the corner of it & installed it with the new hole down so the coolant drains back to the bottle. i also fabbed up an aluminum guard for the bottle

#7 ·
I have not noticed a problem with the predator yet, but riding in snow, even though it is much cooler out, will cause a bike to run a little hotter than normal because of the added strain to the motor from pushing the bike through the snow. Also there is more tire spin, so the motor is revving much higher than it would normally at any givin speed on dry ground. More heat, less air flow..just a thought.

#9 ·
The fan is supposed to come on at 180. SOOOO..its keeping things nice and cool for ya! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.