Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how hard it is to remove the rear shock spring. I was thinking about trying a different spring, but I didn't know if you had to let the nitrogen out of the shock to get the spring off.

·
Registered
409 Posts
just loosen the preload up and remove the keeper clip on the bottom and slip it off the bottom. I put on a KTM PDS-7 and like it alot better. I am running the machine about 9" off the ground(5" of sag) and it has much better bottoming resistance. Shitcan the stock spring for a PDS-6 at least!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought the spring would come off the bottom but wasn't sure. I was even thinking about flipping the aluminum piece between the springs. It would allow a little more compression of the small spring. Any recommendations on where to get a pds-6 or pds-7 spring?

·
Registered
429 Posts
jjwensel....what do you weigh with gear?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I race xc and I would like a little bit stiffer spring than the stocker. My weight is 220# with my gear on. I would think by increasing the stiffness of the spring but leaving the compression adj soft i would get a better overall ride.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I got the PDS-7 KTM spring from a buddy. They could be ordered through a KTM dealer or factoryconnection.com. I am about 205lbs without gear. I picked this spring because it has a progressive spring rate. 7.5 Kg/mm at the start and goes to 9.5 kg/mm as its compressed. The stock spring rate is a 6.6 kg/mm rate. A softer one would be KTM's PDS-6 is a 7.0kg/mm to 9.0kg/mm. I was using to much preload on the stock spring. This give to high of a ride height for MX. Upon researching, I calculated I could use alot less preload with the PDS-7 and still have more bottoming resistance, I tried this first and loved it. I also have the PDS-6 in case I want to try something a little less. I got alot of the spring info from factoryconnection.com. Note: many KTM dirt bike guys swap out the progressive spring for a strate rate so if you can find some KTM riders you should be able to score a spring alot cheaper. Then if you don't like it your not out as much. You can also get a straight rate there also.

·
Registered
557 Posts
do you keep the small top spring of do you replace it with this spring. I weigh 210# without gear. I race XC so I would like a little heavier spring than stock but not too heavy like the PDS-7. I just need just a little heavier springs for the 3-4 jumps we hit. I am leaning toward the PDS-6

Here is me landing off a small jump. I run my rear compression at 2-3 racing.
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=03VE00G3050056&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

here is the jump
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=03VE00G3030130&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

·
Registered
429 Posts
FYI....preload is meant to adjust sag not compensate for a lighter spring rate and try to give yourself a stiffer ride. So if you find yourself adding a bunch of preload you need a heavier spring.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This might be a little off topic, but I sent an e-mail out to Elka to see if they could work on the Fox Shox and the reply came back no. So I guess my question to you guys is, when you have made the spring rate change, how has that affected the valving of the shock or does it really matter? I need a fix and so far what you have done sounds great.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is this the part number from factory connection 9121-0016

I called the KTM dealer and he didn't know what the heck I was talking about.
What size/year ktm we talking about, maybe with some more info they can help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that looks like it. Summitracing sells a 10" Qa1 spring that's a straight 450 lb/in for $37. The stock spring is about 370 lb/in. For that price I think im going to try one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Greenroom, I did revalve the rear shock twice. The guy who did it set it up for a little less low speed compression and a little more high speed compression dampening. It seemed a little harsh stock but still didn't resist bottoming. I felt it was much better but after riding it a little faster, felt it could have more high speed compression dampening. We made that adjustment and After that, I felt it made some sent to try a spring change because I didn't want to make the dampening any stiffer.

The PDS-7 designation is one that *********** gives to all the KTM rear shock springs regardless of year. That happens to be off a 2003 KTM 250 SX.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a little update on that QA1 spring from summit. It's 2 1/2" id and the shock needs a spring thats 2 1/4" on the ends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts