Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Phoenix (altitude 1500') and am planing a trip to the cinders which is at approx. 7000'. My question is do I need to re-jet and if so what jet should I go with? If I do not re-jet will I be doing damage to my machine or will it just not run as strong??

Any advice is appreciated...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also.... If I do need to re-jet, how hare is it? Does anyone have intructions on how to do this??

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Toby - it's a matter of opinion but somewhere between 4000-6000 feet jetting may be neccessary. i believe if you look in your manual they recommend a 142.5 jet for high altitude. if you don't rejet you may run rich and foul plugs, but plugs are cheap compared to burnt valves due to running lean. as you get higher you should lose horsepower.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live in Phoenix and have a cabin in Crown King. If I get into jetting, should I expect to change jets for each elevation (1000ft vs 6600ft)? Is there a happy medium jet size that could be adjusted with the turn of a screw?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Toby, I was last up at the Cinders in July with my predator (before my airbox mod) and I did not rejet from 1500' el. and I should have. I was disappointed with my performance, and vowed to correct it next time. One of the things alot of people do is just change their needle clip position to lean it out a little. If you're going to go through that, you might as well jet down in needle size, however. Those hills up there require you to get a great deal more air flowing into the carb! I don't think you'll foul any plugs, but always have a spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts