Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Hawkeye at Christmas time and I have not been able to put many hours on it. I have less than 20 hours on it, but it has been in the shop now for the third time. Each time to replace the rear drive shaft. First it was the left side and then the right side just two weeks later. I then had a month without riding and the first time back on the machine it broke both of the drive shafts. Each time it occurs the failure is at the CV joint near the transmission.

Has anyone else heard of this? Or have any ideas as to why this type of failure would keep occuring?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Wow, that's pretty interesting!!! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having, but I'm sure Polaris will stand by their product and get it fixed. Let's just hope it's sooner than later.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today the dealer is waiting to hear from Polaris. They have two new shafts in the shop to put back in but want Polaris to tell them if they should replace the transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now they tell me that Polaris is aware ob this problem and that they have changed the drive shaft in some way. The new drive shafts are on backorder and will not be in until MAY!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Obone- i hope they get that problem fixed quickly.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I saw ATV TV last night (it was a recording, probably from a few days ago) and Doug tested the Hawkeye and actually LIKED it. He said some of the nicest things he's ever said about a Polaris machine.

Kinda too bad he bagged on the SP800 he tested afterward... but hardly unexpected.

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Accually he was much better to the 800 than he has been in previous reviews of Polaris products. I was suprised in then ending show wrap up he called the Hawkeye "amazing".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey James and Rob. Could we all put in our two cents in and get rid of Doug ? Great show but his voice drives me and my wife crazy ! Later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Obone, hate to hear about your problems. Was this happening with very abusive riding or just regular riding?

Welcome also, I had about given up on anybody else joining this Hawkeye group. I usually watch ATV TV but must have missed the show with the Hawk. I agree with you, Doug's voice can be a little whiny at times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I have about 12 hours on mine now and knock on wood, I have not had any problems yet. Mine is the 2wd version. Did anyone else get a letter from Polaris telling them to bring in the Hawkeye for a free ten hour check up? I thought this was a little odd.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
interesting about the rear axle problem, sounds like a design flaw or a problem related to his hawkeye...i'll check with my dealer and see if they've had any problems...hope you get it fixed right and can do alot of riding...sounds like a fun machine...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey sorry to revive a dead tyhread and all. But me Hawk. seemed to have some kind of rear driveshaft problem to. See I was riding and wit a bump with the left rear tire. So then the wheel stopped having power to it. The driveshaft on mine I don't think is broken, but the ring around the outside of the rubber boot is gone, and when I looked inside of the rubber boot it was full of little balls. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
sounds like a bad c/v joint. The little balls should be in the c/v joint NOT in the rubber boot floating around! BUSTED :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, just found that out the other day when I took it into Polaris. Luckily it was under warranty, and they fixed it for free. Yay!

·
Registered
58 Posts
You know I really wanted to buy my boy a Hawkeye. However when I was shopping I had a tough time justifying the additional price over similar units. The kicker was hearing 2 people that had them with rear drive issues as noted here. The dealer had one in the shop for that very reason when we went in to check them out. When I heard from a friend about the issue, I figured like the Phoenix it needed a year before I'd buy one to work the bugs out. Ended up with a Honda Recon, no regrets but hope Polaris works through the issues and prices it to be competitive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey in response to that last post the Hawk is an INCREDIBLE machine. The reason mine broke is because I put it through huge amounts of abuse on an almost daily basis. The real reason I broke it was because I had jumped it, my thumb had slipped on the gas in the air, and landed on one wheel, and the added stress of the extreme amount of torque on that one CV joint broke it. I heavily reccomend this machine, it is great for a beginner who dosen't know how to shift or dosen't want to shift. I love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts