Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im new here, I just want to find out with you guys.

My Predator was riding fine, I washed it, then it stood for 3 weeks and when I started it up, its smoking whiteish smoke quiet bad, I dont know whats wrong!

I switched it off immediately! a mechanic told me its my piston rings that are fried or turned around or something or even the valve seals that are busted! Is this possible? It was fine the other day!

I idles fine, but after like 4 mins of idling itll slowly begin to die and if I give it gas at this moment it dies.

Restart and give it gas its fine again but still smokes.

What could be wrong here? Simply carb and air filter clean?

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
if you got water down the exhaust it could have washed the oil off the cylinder or rusted a ring or cylinder ????????????? i agree though if it is blowing white smoke out the tail pipe then it most likely has a stuck or cracked ring or gouged cylinder or a bad valve seal.

i highly doubt the smoke has anything to do with the carb or air filter. if it is running poorly the carb may be the issue there. i would check the compression. i am betting it needs a new top end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! I had a Yamaha Blaster before this and did all mechanical work myself. This is my first 4 stroke and theres timing etc involved, With the blaster it was so easy to work on, eg change a piston at the track within a hour, now, if I had to tear down the Predators topend, will this effect timing etc, or is it as simple as tearing it down, inspecting it, put new rings in, put it together, torque all nuts and its good to go?

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
it is a lot of work with dual overhead cams a timing chain that needs to be lined up on both cams, a timing chain tentioner, a lot of torque specs and sequences way harder than the blaster but it is do able. i sell a polaris predator rebuild dvd that is a step by step of a mechanic showing every detail on an engine build. also here is a few links to it and other helpful info on my polarisproriders.com site.

Polaris Pro Riders

Polaris Pro Riders

Polaris Pro Riders

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys im new here, I just want to find out with you guys.

My Predator was riding fine, I washed it, then it stood for 3 weeks and when I started it up, its smoking whiteish smoke quiet bad, I dont know whats wrong!

I switched it off immediately! a mechanic told me its my piston rings that are fried or turned around or something or even the valve seals that are busted! Is this possible? It was fine the other day!

I idles fine, but after like 4 mins of idling itll slowly begin to die and if I give it gas at this moment it dies.

Restart and give it gas its fine again but still smokes.

What could be wrong here? Simply carb and air filter clean?
Check the air filter see if there’s oil in there these quads don’t like to be stood up straight some times oil feeds back into the air box

1 - 5 of 5 Posts