Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend told us they read somewhere that the predator tends to over heat while duning... Has anyone known of this to occur??? I have heard of a few riders with overheating issues,but neven did hear of the outcome of it... We ride in mostly sand and have a big tripcoming up in July.. Any info would be greatly appreciated... Tina :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've had mine in Pismo Beach with no problems at all. I think the fan coming on so early makes alot of guys think the bike is running hot. Polaris has set the fan at much lower temp to prevent just that.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
My fan runs a lot but I've never had my overtemp light come on.

One thing I do that I think is different from others, though, is I NEVER shut the machine off after running it hard. I always let it idle for 2-3 minutes first. This keeps coolant circulating through the motor, thus helping it to cool better.

I'm also of the opinion that if your overtemp light comes on, you should stop, but don't shut it off. Again, because it keeps coolant flowing. Heck, if you can, ride to somewhere with a cool breeze so that while it runs, air is still passing through the radiator.

The scoops from PRM and Rath look like they may be a good idea. I may have to order up a set.

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about the scoop myself before our trip.RobG, thats a really good idea and makes sense to me ,ill keep that in mind...I know of one person having problems with hers overheating but its during races,not on sand.. When we go out on our duning trips, we usually spend about 8 solid hours a day of riding maybe a little more(thats solid hours not including breaking for lunch at camp.lol) I know on our quads last year we relly burned up the oil in a four day trip in the sand.. Im thinking... May have to change the oil everyday,or every other on this trip...holy cow...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If my paperwork finally goes through my site should be up this week. I have 2023 T-3 aviation grade scoops for $25/pair plus $5/pair shipping. I have a current pic, so anyone that wants to see before the site is up just e-mail me. They almost stop the fan from running.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
modquad, could you please email me a pic?? send it to [email protected] would be interested in seeing it!! :)

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Or if you want, upload the photo into your Profile and I will add a link to your post in this thread (if you PM me to remind me) so the pic will appear in the message.

I've started working on a feature to allow you to easily attach photos to posts. Look for it to be done around mid-month. It'd be done sooner but I'm gonna be out of town for a week.

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool Rob. Will I have to have a hosted web site to post pics? I dont have one...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Junkie, you've got mail. Rob, I have all I can do navagating through a web-page construction program. Thanks though, I should have my page....or the remnants of one up today. Thanks again for all the interest.

Ken

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it hard to make a web site? I have tons of pics of riding and races ect I would love to have up but for the life of me cant figure it out .... I just want something simple to host all my pics and a little background page thats it.. any ideas? suggestions????

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Get yourself a copy of Microsofts Frontpage. I found it for $25 less than everyone else at Sam's Club. I just sat down and plucked around. You do have to pay for and license a domain name, and register (pay also) a server. With the Predator radiator scoops, and the other upcoming Predator equipment, I thought it would be a great place to showcase products. As you can see by my site, I'm learning as I go. :D

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought there was free wb out there? I cant think of the name right off the top of my head, but I have seen personal websites that people have made for just showing there races and pics ect....LOL..... I hope Im making sense here... I have around 500 pics of our trips riding in the last year,thought it would be cool to put on a web... Thanks for your suggestions moquad :):):) .Tina

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Oh, sorry, there are things like photo albums in Yahoo, and places like that. Sorry for the bad info, wasn't quite sure what purpose the pics/site would serve...my bad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It has already reached over 100 in the AZ desert. My fan runs often and my leg gets real hot but I have not had any problems with over temp light.
I agree with the past posts... don't shut off hot... let it idle with the fan running for a few mins.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If the jet-hot coating works as well as they claim it does, it should help quite a bit being that whenever the fan is pulling air through the radiator it passes over the exhaust and blows hot air to the cylinder, heating everything back up again.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im thinkin some water wetter or engine Ice would come in handy for dunes wouldnt ya think? Ill be testing it out in a few weeks for my duning trip . Between that and the scoops hopefully will help. I think my pipe helped with mine on cooling too...... Tina......

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I have the J&T Coolant Temp Guage on my Predator, and I can tell you that you can run the piss out of it and it won't go over 220 deg. Plus it cools right down once you turn around and head down a dune at little more than an idle. Normal temp seems to be in the 160-190 range depending on airflow, but when you're on it, it'll jump up to the 200-210 range, and occasionally hit 220 on a long climb on a tall, steep dune (like one of the 600', 65+ degree ones at Sand Mountain).

Still, I'm going to order up a set of radiator scoops and also Jet Hot Coat my header pipe to see what the difference is. And I'll add Water Wetter too just because I use it in everything else.

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts