1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello.

i just got this 2005 polaris predator 500

it just cranks over and wont fire...

i pulled the head and seen it had a bent intake valve.

so i bought 2 intake valves and laped them and installed them both/

i did the timming and i set it to tdc on the T in the eye on the mag window.

put the gold links lined up on the cams and the bottom to the timming marks.

cams are at 12 and 9 with the intake half a tooth advanced .. seen this on other posts.

I bought a new carb ... still no fire... checked spark and it is getting good spark..

my plug is not wet with gas or smell like gas..

when i set my timming all up like it say to my cam lobes are facing in the same direction... is this right????

please help.. geting really pissed..

Thank you
Mark

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Hey. Haven't been on here for a couple of years. Hope you got you problem fixed. If not, the lobes on your cam should not be pointing in the same direction at TDC. The intakes face a little up and toward the back of the bike and the exhaust face a little up and toward the front. If they were pointing in the same direction, they would open the exhaust and intake valves at the same time. You probably know this, but there are 2 dots on each cam. The intake should have one dot straight up and the other dot, at a 90 degree angle, almost level with the top of the head. The exhaust should have one up and one about 1 tooth above level with the top of the head. There should be 8 links of chain between the 2 dots that are up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is at tdc in the view hole on the side with the mark.. And the dots on both cams are at 9 and 12.

But both cam lobs are facing the same way..

I checked the key on the mag and it is good..

Very stumped right now...

Any help???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the rings.. Piston looked good.. Put new head gasket set on it..

I think something is wrong in the motor somewhere.

Another issue is getting a lot of oil in the air cleaner box.. Not sure if it has to to do with it not starting..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts