Polaris Riders Forum banner

Predator 500 quirks

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Lkwd777 
#1 ·
Hello out there! I just became the proud owner of my first atv, a 2003 Polaris predator 500. I have noticed some things and so far the threads I have looked at have put my mind at ease. I know the bike is old, so I'm hoping it will give me some time before I have to spend money rebuilding. I have ridden other quads, but they were all auto, so no clutch and the associated parts. I'll get to the question: I noticed that it is having some trouble shifting back down to 1st gear. When it does this, I'll end up at low speed in a gear too high and there is this sloppy kind of slapping noise. Is that normal under those circumstances? I'm a decent auto mechanic, but motorcycle stuff is new to me, so I'm not sure what I can do to address the issue. It also won't shift to neutral while running. I feel like the two issues are related. If anyone has any suggestions, they are welcome. Thanks

#2 ·
Hello (LikeWeed777) lol funny name. If you are in a higher gear going fast and downshift to a lower gear and your speed is too much for that gear you could be over revving the motor. Which floats the valves and causes them to slap the top of the piston ( not good ). Automatics do not have that issue. Unless you are hard on the brakes first I wouldn’t be downshifting if you were just hauling ass.

#4 ·
I'm only downshifting when I slow down. The problem is that sometimes it doesn't go all the way to first, like it sticks. Then I'm moving to slow for second gear, and that's when I hear the slappy sound. And yes, when I'm trying to shift to neutral I'm stopped and getting ready to shut down. Thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.