Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to the form, i realize that this question has been asked on here before. i read them. but its not helping with my problem. so ill start here. i got a 03 predator 500. just had the top end all apart for some mods. what i have now is a complete aluminium non pressurized air box with twin k&n air filters. a stage 3 dynojet carb kit, weisco 12.5/1 high compression piston, and a complete big gun evo r exhaust. not heres where the problems begin. i live a sea level and never get over 3000 ft. so the dynojet kit says set the needle at the 2nd notch, and from what i get out it, with my mods used a 175 main jet and 3 turns on the air mix screw. thats what i did. and at 3/4 to full throttle im getting the seem to be famous popping almost like a rev limiter but i know its no where near there.
so i read some of the forms on here, checked my plug, it was black, changed the needle positions with no change, messed with the mix screw with no change. so i just changed the main jet went from the 175 to the 170 in the kit. now the popping is gone but i cant get full revs out of it (no popping but not reaching the rev limiter), and its boggy when hit from idle to wide open and seems like it has no power. not sure where to go from here any help would be great thanks in advance and cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
update: just changed the main jet to a 180 and still no popping and power is back a bit but will barley pull wheelie in first gear even before with the 175 mj and the popping it was great on the bottom i have no sweet clue whats going on here and im getting pretty discouraged

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i dont feel like getting ripped a new one, every shop around here is no good. ive checked and re checked the cam timing, and nothing has changed, unless i bent some valves somehow. my symptoms now is the bike just dosnt have any power. feels like im drive a 250. ive changed jets, set and reset the timing (actually stripped the motor down to see the dot on the crank and set it with the brass links, now when i check it it comes up perfect). i dont know where to go from here???

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would try bumping up the pilot jet. The main jet is going to control 1/4 to wide open throttle, which is why it got better when you bumped up the main jet to 180. Go to the Jets R Us website and order pilot jets in 47.5 and 50. Give those a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Predator carb settings

Walterc, first of all its always a good idea to document all changes with results and make only 1 change at a time!. From what I understand: Lets Go back the original settings; stock pilot with idel jet screw at 3 turns, needle at 2nd notch, and 175 main. You are getting Popping? did popping start at 3/4 all the way thru full thorttle? (with the black plug) this means you were rich at top end only. Drop 2 main jet sizes. try it again. While you are changing back to these settings: with air cleaner removed, make sure the slide moves up & down freely. push up with your finger, it should return freely. (these get gummed up sometimes). NOW-- if the popping is only close to the WOT position you may be hitting the rev limiter, you would be supprised how quick these can rev with the mods you have made. If you get this running decient you might consider using the stock needle on the 4th notch, the Dynojet has more taper and causes a slightly rich condition in the mid range. And for the future, I have a Rev baox for your quad, I would sell for $40 plus shipping ( all of our bikes are 05-07) I hope this helps you and I totaly understand how frustrating this can be. Let me know how it goes for you
SJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
03 predator jetting problems

hey sonnyjim, i have a 03 predator and i have been having some issues.i bought the quad and it was running fine, then after a couple months i started to feel boggin in the 2nd gear. i have a CFM air box with dual uni air filters and stock exhaust, i pulled the spark plug out and it was black i am assuming it was running rich, i bought a dynojet jet kit and I am having issues dialing her in, it turns on and revs but still with a low bog and then last night it made a loud pop from the exhaust and i turned it off lol and got a little worried i need some MAJOR Assistance all the stupid dealers wont touch it because of aftermarket jets. and i am not knowing what to do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
assuming you have the stock carb

-pull the top off of the carb and remove the diaphram
-blast all the soot out with carb cleaner
-make sure the air jet is clean

the slide works off vacuum so its important the top side of the carb is clean

also check out the sticky on the diy carb mod

i have an FCR now so i can't help you with jetting it.

when you get it right it'll rip your arms off. Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar problem... I just bought a used 04 predator 500. This is my first ATV, so I'm now getting a crash course with maintenance, repair, etc. It seemed to run fine when I first bought it, which was about 3-4wks ago. I took it on my first long ride soon after I bought it... The first thing it kept doing was stalling intermittently when coming to a stop. It would always start right back up, so I didn't care too much at the time. About an hour into the ride, I hit a small mud hole. Almost instantly I could feel a slight hesitation and a little backfiring. I really don't have a clue as to how this could have caused any problems because this was more mud than water. Also, not sure where it could have been sucked into the engine/carb? It seemed to run fine for another 45min or so, then finally bogged down and stalled. When trying to start it again, it kept sputtering and backfiring. It didn't want to start... I finally got it started and had to keep the throttle open so it wouldn't stall. Needless to say, I barely made it home.

So, here's what I've done so far.

- New air filter
- New spark plug (gapped to proper specs as well)
- Strained gas tank, which was full of garbage...
- Added SeaFoam to gas.
- Installed a rebuild kit, and new o-rings throughout. New jets, needle, needle seat, etc.
- Cleaned out every hole on the carb with cleaner, soaked in hot water, blew out with air.
- Checked float height and made sure float moves freely.
- Removed the pilot screw and cleaned. Also placed an o-ring on it too, since it was missing when I removed it.
- Installed filters on the two vent hoses coming off the carburetor. Not sure if that's a big deal or not, but I read where it could cause problems.

So I literally JUST got all of this done over the weekend. Had everything put back together and was ready to try it out. Took it a while to start... Just kept turning, so I sprayed carb cleaner into the carb to help it out. It started and seemed to run excellent. Rode it for maybe 10min, and all seemed well. The next day, was going to ride it a little harder to make sure everything was good. It started right up and idled great. While riding, I was giving it lots of gas to see if I could detect loss of power or sputtering. Just short, fast bursts. Never really got out of third gear. After 5min of riding like this, the sputtering started again. Freaking pissed me off... Not much longer after it started, it died. It wants to roll over while trying to start, but never cranks. It might rev up a little, but instantly dies. Checked the spark plug last night and it's a little black. It's not charcoal black, but definitely sooty. SO... Here are my questions.

1) Is it flooding or am I not getting enough gas? I really can't tell. I know my float bowl is full of gas, so I'm assuming it's flooding... Thoughts?

2) Is my fuel pump bad? The gas flows great from the petcock to fuel pump. I took the line off the carb last night and tried to crank, but no gas came out. I read where I should get a steady stream of gas... Is this for when the engine is actually "running", or should it do the same thing while attempting to crank? I also checked the vacuum line for obstructions. All the lines seem okay.

3) Could my gas cap vent be clogged? I haven't troubleshooted this yet. Wasn't sure if a clogged vent could cause those problems.

4) My e-clip is on the 3rd notch. Would adjusting the clip help? I'm really not sure if my problems are from running too rich or too lean, so I don't know which way to move the notch.

5) Could my valves and/or timing cause these problems?

6) Compression? I don't have a compression tester, but was wondering if this could be an issue too.

Sorry for the loaded questions, but I'm at the breaking point... I've ridden this lemon 6 times and it's killing me to see my money go to waste because it's not running right! Even if I wanted to sell it and buy something better, I can't sell if it's not running.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Brion

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 05 Predator 500 with a big gun Exhaust an stage 3 jets in it an it bogs down when I ride it I need to know what jets to get for it it runs lean an the smoke is blue so if u have any suggestions please let me know

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having a similar problem... I just bought a used 04 predator 500. This is my first ATV, so I'm now getting a crash course with maintenance, repair, etc. It seemed to run fine when I first bought it, which was about 3-4wks ago. I took it on my first long ride soon after I bought it... The first thing it kept doing was stalling intermittently when coming to a stop. It would always start right back up, so I didn't care too much at the time. About an hour into the ride, I hit a small mud hole. Almost instantly I could feel a slight hesitation and a little backfiring. I really don't have a clue as to how this could have caused any problems because this was more mud than water. Also, not sure where it could have been sucked into the engine/carb? It seemed to run fine for another 45min or so, then finally bogged down and stalled. When trying to start it again, it kept sputtering and backfiring. It didn't want to start... I finally got it started and had to keep the throttle open so it wouldn't stall. Needless to say, I barely made it home.

So, here's what I've done so far.

• New air filter
  • New spark plug (gapped to proper specs as well)
  • Strained gas tank, which was full of garbage...
  • Added SeaFoam to gas.
  • Installed a rebuild kit, and new o-rings throughout. New jets, needle, needle seat, etc.
  • Cleaned out every hole on the carb with cleaner, soaked in hot water, blew out with air.
  • Checked float height and made sure float moves freely.
  • Removed the pilot screw and cleaned. Also placed an o-ring on it too, since it was missing when I removed it.
  • Installed filters on the two vent hoses coming off the carburetor. Not sure if that's a big deal or not, but I read where it could cause problems.

So I literally JUST got all of this done over the weekend. Had everything put back together and was ready to try it out. Took it a while to start... Just kept turning, so I sprayed carb cleaner into the carb to help it out. It started and seemed to run excellent. Rode it for maybe 10min, and all seemed well. The next day, was going to ride it a little harder to make sure everything was good. It started right up and idled great. While riding, I was giving it lots of gas to see if I could detect loss of power or sputtering. Just short, fast bursts. Never really got out of third gear. After 5min of riding like this, the sputtering started again. Freaking pissed me off... Not much longer after it started, it died. It wants to roll over while trying to start, but never cranks. It might rev up a little, but instantly dies. Checked the spark plug last night and it's a little black. It's not charcoal black, but definitely sooty. SO... Here are my questions.

1) Is it flooding or am I not getting enough gas? I really can't tell. I know my float bowl is full of gas, so I'm assuming it's flooding... Thoughts?

2) Is my fuel pump bad? The gas flows great from the petcock to fuel pump. I took the line off the carb last night and tried to crank, but no gas came out. I read where I should get a steady stream of gas... Is this for when the engine is actually "running", or should it do the same thing while attempting to crank? I also checked the vacuum line for obstructions. All the lines seem okay.

3) Could my gas cap vent be clogged? I haven't troubleshooted this yet. Wasn't sure if a clogged vent could cause those problems.

4) My e-clip is on the 3rd notch. Would adjusting the clip help? I'm really not sure if my problems are from running too rich or too lean, so I don't know which way to move the notch.

5) Could my valves and/or timing cause these problems?

6) Compression? I don't have a compression tester, but was wondering if this could be an issue too.
We’re you ever able to find out your problem, dealing w same thing

Sorry for the loaded questions, but I'm at the breaking point... I've ridden this lemon 6 times and it's killing me to see my money go to waste because it's not running right! Even if I wanted to sell it and buy something better, I can't sell if it's not running.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Brion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts