Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a fix to my machine to help reduce the brake drag issue until Polaris can come up with something better.

I went to Home Depot and boug a package of 1/2" x 1.75" compression springs. I then cut each of the two springs in half. I pulled the slide bolts out until the end was flush with the inner brake pad. Then I slipped a 3/8" washer over the slide bolt, then the spring, then another washer, and then slipped the bolt back through the outer pad and screwed it back in.

I repeated this with each of the four slide bolts (two per caliper). Now when I squeeze the brake lever, and then check the wheels to see if they spin, they do! They still don't spin anywhere near as well as my friend's Raptor, but they do spin.

I think there's still a long way to go to eliminate the binding because of these brakes, but at least in my case, the springs appear to have allieviated the problem enough so I can ride the bike.

Rob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Rob,

Good effort, maybe as they wear in more, and with the springs you added, it will be a simple fix to the problem that many seem to think is not a problem?!?!

Do you know what part #'s for the springs at Home Depot? And have you noticed the need to pump up the brake lever to get a good bite on your initial brake pull?

JJ

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll dig up the part number later today... but I haven't ridden it yet to say if I need to pump the brakes or not. I'll report back once I have done so.

Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
i did something like what rob did but i used the plastic covering that you use to shield your wires in that are on the fire wall of a car. i didnt want to use a spring due to the fact it would push the pads too far apart and cause you to have to pump the brakes. i changed the fluid to dot 4 synthetic brake fluid and cleaned and lubed the pins too. now i get 4 turns per tire. much better than a 1/4 turn that i use to get. and i dont have to pump the brakes at all. they can be locked up on the first squeeze of the handle if you squeeze it that hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts