Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my pred to the dunes this weekend and had some problems. She started fine,and would rev fine, but when I'd open up the throttle in gear it'd pop and backfire. My friend said that when it did it, it'd puff out black smoke too. It didn't matter what gear I was in, anytime I'd get the rpm's up and run at a constant speed, it'd pop. It felt like a misfire b/c the bike would "stutter". I have never experienced anything like this before. I pulled my spark plug and it looked ok, maybe a lil on the lean side, but not bad. My gas is good and I'm running a 185 main jet. I'm thnking of stepping up to a 190 and putting in a new plug to see what happens. Has anybody else experienced this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that if it was rich, it'd pop when I let off the throttle, which it doesn't do. It only does this when I've got the RPM's up and running at a constant speed or maybe accelerating. I don't think a rich motor would act like that. But I've been wrong before. That is why I'm here tho.. b/c I am stumped

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Popping when letting off means lean. Popping while giving it gas is rich. Now, there is always the exception to that, but you said you had black smoke and popping. That tells me that you are rich.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I'm willing to step down to a 180 MJ and see what happens. It is wierd tho b/c I have been running this setup for almost a year now and never had an issue. I hope you're right tho.. it'd be an easy fix

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
your PJ is too rich. you should be at a 50 max. do you ever get a bit of flames out the muffler? you would have to pay real close attention at night. but the mj sounds close maybe tad rich. also air leaks will make you backfire like crazy. i had a exhause leak(where the slip on and the header meet) and it did the same thing. so check that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
this sounds like the problem i had a while back. after much head scratching (mine), my mechanic found that the coil was bad. my situation got progressively worse it seemed as the ride went on. anyway, just make sure all your connections are good before replacing anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked my air filter and air intake tube. Both are clean. I can try stepping down on the PJ too. Is there a way to test the coil? I have a volt/ohm meter if someone knows what the proper tolerances are. I was recently riding at a much higher altitude than normal, so i'm hoping that was enough to make me too rich and fouled the plug. I tried to get a new plug today but both places I went to didnt carry the proper one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts