Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Polaris Scrambler is one of the most versatile ATV’s ever built it can run the track one minute and then traverse a creek bead the next with some limitations. If you tweak it a little like I have you can reduce some of those limitations. I have a 03 500 HO 4x4 model with the Fox shock and progressive spring in the rear and I added the Fox shocks to the front. With this suspension you can run the track and tack the jumps but you must use caution when jumping it. If the front suspension is compressed beyond its travel the front spindles (part of the half shaft) will bend and cause the front hub to wobble which causes unwanted wear and break pulsation. So land it a little tail heavy on the bigger jumps and you will have no problems. If you also add a rear axle that allows you to adjust the width of the axle it will reduce the Scramblers tendency to roll and allow the rear end to rotate (slide) which will give you better control in high-speed turns. If you turn on the 4x4 mode and drive it like a Rally car by rotating the back of the Scrambler going into the corner with the rear break and then stand on it. You will turn some heads! The Scrambler will bite and take you through the corner faster than any two-wheel drive and your exit speed will blow them away, oh and you don’t have to shift.

As a 4x4 it works well under most situations but it does have its drawbacks. The rear axle does limit the articulation of the suspension limiting its rock crawling ability. The Scrambler also uses a belt driven clutch that will not give you any problems unless you get it in a situation that requires a lot of power from a stopped position like stopping on a hill climb. If you don’t rap the throttle to engage the belt and or modify the clutch you will burn the belt and cause it to fail.

This is all I have for now feel free to send me your Scrambler questions there are many other things to do to this machine to improve its performance. See my profile for pics of my toy.

P.S. Thanks RobG

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Awesome man! I'm looking to upgrade my fromnt struts and springs soon, either to fox, works or Progressive.

any recomendations, i just trail ride.....

Are you on www.Gen3usa.com ????

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim

I would highly recommend that you us the Fox shocks since they are specifically meant for the Scramblers strut suspension, which relies on the shock to locate the upper portion of the front suspension. I would also us the heavy rated Polaris springs, which again are meant for the Scrambler. Most other manufacturers do not have the testing invested into our machines they are selling you what they think will work and then waiting for you to give them feed back. Thanks to you I am now also on Gen3 thank you.

Elkbow

Thank you for your comments those guy’s didn’t know what hit them. I just wish that I had the stamina to finish the job.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
storm, what do you recommend to the clutch...I rode with someone yesterday and they blew a belt, he wants to upgrade his clutch...I don't know much about what is best on the scrambler...he rides mainly from 6000-11000 feet in altitude...

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Thanks for the advise stormin', I was leaning towards the Fox already since I have the rear Fox and they seam to work a lot with Polaris on the quads.

Also thinking about the HPD steering damper.

Dave, a heavier, higher engaging primary spring alone should help for belt grab.
He may want to look at his deflection and belt alignment if it blew on that new a machine unless maybe he was stuck in some goop (w/o low).
Clutch kits from HPD, Aaen, and Dalton along with EPI should all be good choices and help too. Just make sure he specifies his elevation when ordering, they may need to do a special kit or setup if they don't have any pre made high elevation kits available. That's a must.

Jim

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
heres the steering damper thats missing from the picture above....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I Just purchased a 06 Scrambler and heard that all it needs is a new air filter(K&N) and a exhaust and it will run nice. It feels like it is draging, not looking to race but, would like to make it a little bit more peppy also not looking to spend a ton. Any info/help would be great, The wife took my sp 800 and now she leaves me in the dust, need to keep up a little better.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
A friend has a Scrambler and has done a pipe and clutching work to it and it runs with my SP800 just fine... I'll have to ask him what all he's done to it.

Rob

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
a lot of guys on www.gen3usa.com are going with the White Brothers mid pipe and e-silencer along with some sort of clutch kit and a K&N filter with a pre-charger.

if you go to that site look up ScramblerXrated and Fishslab.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a pic of Scrambler"X"rated's bike. I made the custom front bumper
for him and brake levers. His bike is probably one of the quicker stock
bore 500 bikes. Can't beat my stroker motor, but he's stays on my tail !!
With he's high comp Wiseco piston, Webb cam, Predator carb, and full Pro-
Circuit exhaust, it will get your attention !!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
old thread i know but i loved my scrammy as well. one of polaris' most unique quads. Mine was bulletproof, and with a pipe and clutch kit the performance wasnt too bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, had to stir the dust up a bit and climb through some cobwebs.
The bike ain't dead yet. Most everything though is over at Gen3USA
www.gen3usa.com for some good info and some plain ol'fashioned
experimentation in the modding department.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
good job Fuj!
I like the Pred looking bumper. Both your quads are Bad*ss!

Hopefully the new Scrambler 'redesign' is an improvement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts