Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to my science teacher today if he knows anything about Polaris's. He said they have generally not been too overall reliable compared to other companies. He said to buy a Raptor so I wouldn't have to worry about the Polaris breaking down on me. Does anyone have any info on the history of Polaris's being reliable machines?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That was the thought on polaris until maybe 97 or so, lately they have been alot better, i think the quality on all the brands are pretty close now days, i'm not saying that as a polaris guy either,my last three machines were a grizz 660, raptor, and grizz 600,

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
You couldn't give me a Yamaha anymore. Ask people who own 2001 Raptors what they think about Yamaha reliability. Ask 2002 and newer Grizzly owners (of which I'm one) what they think about Yamaha reliability.

The first-year Raptors have transmission problems, and the Grizzlies have fuel boiling problems. Yamaha refuses to admit that there's a problem with either of them.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think yahama is the worst for reliability. My banshee broke every couple days, you could not give me a yamaha either. I have not had one problem with my predator, and i have rode it alot, it starts flawless everytime. One thing i wish they did put on the pred is a back up kicker. The pred moves pretty good in snow too, i was suprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats why they should of built in a comp. release, but this much machime at this price????? we should only hope this is just the start of a lot more.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
The compression ratio is something like 10.5:1.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wish they would have installed a comp release with kicker. I just do not want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere. No problems so far, just in case, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What grade gas do you all run? Will it run fine on 87 octane? I would also like to say thanks to Rob for putting this site together- it is a really nice site and I can tell you must have spent a lot of time to build it. I can't wait to change my status to "owner"!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dont run 87 octane, use 93

·
Registered
119 Posts
i run b35 in mine most of the time witch is 101 octane and it runs really well.so as for the reliable deal i have had magnum 425 magnum 500 sportsman 500ho. sportsman 700. scrambler 4002x4 and the great predator no problemes with any of them. people does polaris the same as they do harley propaganda its american company be proud!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a polaris scrambler 400 and a 95 explorer (i think) its a 300 cc two-stroke utility quad. The only problems I have had were when the swing arm bushings went bad on my 95. The bushing themselves are simple to replace, but getting to them is another story, everything has to come apaart to access them. other than that they have been the most reliable quads I have owned. I have had many banshees and a few 250r hondas over the years with only a few problems, but still more than the polarises. I always am messing with everything so they come apart often wich probably help keep them strong. I usually go through each quad once a year and replace all the bushings, chains ect. With my predator side by side to a 88 250r I cann't believe how the predator frame resembles the honda. just about every bent and angle matches exactly. I would not be one bit surprised to hear the polaris use an old 250r as a starting point.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
To my knowledge, the Explorer could be had in a 250 or a 400, but maybe the older ones were 300.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
In regards to octane, 87 should be fine as long as it doesn't knock. If it does knock, then go up to 89 octane. A lower octane fuel ignites faster than a higher octane. Basically your just throwing your money away. When you get into high octane fuels and racing fuels then you also need to increase your compression.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts