Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dealer tells me that polaris recomends when you reach 50 hours on your pred you should have the cams and valves adjusted. thats just what i heard
thanks

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Thats about right......:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
50 hours? Man I got to get to the dealer.

Zack

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Gee I'd say I'm well past due then... I have over 100 hours on mine.

Rob

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
my dealer told me 4 years. they said it was broke in and adjusted at the factory! hmmmmmmmm!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello All...changing my oil for the first time and it looks pretty straight forward...just wanted to make sure...drain the pan, remove the four or five bolts fron the filter housing, replace filter and fill with oil...anything I should take note on?

Sorry for the novice question... =)

-ibeatraptors

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
There are two drains... one on the bottom of the black oil tank, and another on the bottom of the crankcase. Then you remove the three 8mm bolts from the filter housing and change the filter. Be SURE that the rubber seal on the filter goes back on the same way as the original filter, which I believe is towards the outside.

Rob

·
Registered
168 Posts
Make sure you drain both the oil reservoir and the case (plug directly underneath engine). Also, you may want to take a couple paper towels and stuff them in between the engine and the frame tube on the filter housing side, so that they hang down into your catch pan, to help direct oil flow, because if you dont when you take the filter housing cover off, you will get oil all over the frame and skid pan. Also, be very careful to not overtighten any of the bolts, the little filter houseing ones especially are really easy to over-tighten and break (found out the hard way). I think its 6-7 ft-lbs for those and 14 ft-lbs for the drain plugs.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Also, make sure you put the longer 8mm bolts back in the forward-most hole and be carefull not to loose the spring behind the filter.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Now wait a minute, how would you adjust the valves? There are no rockers. And adjusting the cams? While your at it, have em grease the clutch attenna, too.

There is nothing in the Polaris service manual on the above.

just my 2cts. :)

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
The valve setup in the Predator is what is called a Shim Under Bucket setup. There are a shims in there somewhere (I'm not totally sure where) that will wear over time, and you have to unbolt the cams and change out the shims to get the valves back into spec. It's a lengthy process that takes several hours, but the good news is that it only has to be done yearly at the very most.

The YFZ450 is the same way, so is the Cannondale and I think also the Z400 and its clones. Basically any of the DOHC motors are like this.

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts