Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome everyone! Please don't hesitate to make (constructive) suggestions for additions to this website and forum!

I realize that there are a lot of features missing that are in many of the other forums on the 'net, but I don't know which features people want the most. So, please post your requests here and I will do my best to prioritize them and add them quickly.

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's alive!

I have to ask how long you have been working on this? Yes it does lack many features, but think about what it does have. It is a fully functional forum that you wrote yourself!! That is amazing. As for suggestions, I realize you have many additions in mind, but the only thing that I have a question on in the "Subject:" in the quick reply. Seems like a follow up post wouldn't have a subject.

Ok, I just noticed that the topic gets renamed to the follow up subjects made by the user. That could throw visitors off if it is by design.

G

·
0 Posts
Nice work! You have done a fantastic job! I'm sure as time goes by, you will get
all the little goodies added. But, so far, it looks good. Much better then those "Canned" forums. What did you code this in?

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks real good Rob. Keep up the good work.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The subject isn't supposed to be renamed when you reply... that's a bug. I thought I had fixed it but apparently not.

As for subject in replies, you're probably right... I may decide to lose that field. I left it because I'd seen it in other forums.

Thanks again for the compliments! I don't have a lot of time in it just yet... I built the database for it the evening of Jan 28th, and then started coding the next afternoon around 4 PM when I got home from a trip. Then I worked on it all day Thursday, and then for a few hours yesterday before turning it on.

Rob

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay there we go... that was an easy bug, fortunately. The bug I mentioned in the previous post was worse... when you replied, it actually attached your reply to the WRONG thread and caused all sorts of evil things to happen.

This was just a case of not using an ORDER BY clause in the query that it the data was coming out of the database in whatever order the database wanted. :)

Rob

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Polarisman:

I plan to add that soon, actually. The "Members" link at the top of the page, that isn't linked yet, will be how you to get that area.

My thoughts are to create what will amount to a miniature website for each member who wants it. They can display their profile, some photos of their machines, links to their own sites, etc.

Rob

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks!!!

Good deal Rob, this place will take off in no time I'm sure. I wondered where you went, thanks for the info you shared previously at other sites. I just picked up my TLD a week ago today but haven't rode it yet, weather is not that great here right now.

Check your ball joints, I have a left upper that has what I consider to be too much play, I can rock the wheel in and out, feel the looseness and see the A-arm move up and down about 1/8th of an inch. All other joints are tight.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Do we have the option to put up our pic link? If yes, how do you do it?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GE:

What exactly do you mean by pic link? I don't understand.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I have picture's of my quads, and to be able to let everyone see them, I can have a link that they push and it brings them to my pictures.

·
Registered
455 Posts
First of all, "Hey Powerslider, looks like we continue to shop at the same stores." lol

Nice site Rob. Good layout. Very useful and not overwellming. I like smiley faces. Any plans for smiley faces in the future?

RED

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah Red I always figured great minds think alike lol.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Cool site ROB! Lets make it better as we go. Smiley faces would be a plus. Maybe some sign language too...lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
Avitars are cool too

G

·
0 Posts
Pretty nifty job you've done RobG!Smileys and a few options for colored font would be good.I'd like to get the colored font for ATV Time as well,but me being the computer illiterate dude I am,I have to buy the options.Good to see you have the ability to add what you want.Thats the American way!

·
Registered
15 Posts
well rob I think I made it. and so far I think you have done the same. right now I will have to say that this is the best website on the net great job rob keep it up. for suggestions at this point I think a pic page would be cool other than that time will only tell. also rob if you need any asisstance in the new site you got my email.....

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lessee, I'll try to answer all the questions...

Adding pictures... well, you can do it now but you'll need to know a little HTML to do it. Basically, right now, anybody can use HTML in their posts as much as they want, though I'd suggest they keep it to a minimum (links to pix, maybe some text formatting, etc). I will eventually probably have to make the system strip it out. I don't know if I'll ever write a "ubbcode" for it or not... kinda hoping I might find a pre-written module I can utilize.

Soon, though, I will at least make the system recognize URLs (with or without http://) and automatically make them links.

Avatars... maybe in the future. I'm concerned about the speed of the site and bandwidth usage, so I'll leave that for later.

Smileys... I can do that. Which other forum should I rip them off of? :)

I was just thinking... I may have a WYSIWYG editor I might be able to use here on the site as an option... that'll give you the colored text and stuff pretty easily. I think I still have a copy of it laying around. I'll look for it.

Thanks for all the kind words, btw!

Rob

1 - 20 of 61 Posts