Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem? I think it's where it sits against the gas tank. Does anyone have a fix?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Mine did this when I first got it. In my case, what happened was when the dealer assembled the machine, they didn't get the metal "latches" (for lack of a better word) to slip over top of the catches on the sides of the gas tank on one side.

Once I figured this out, it took a bit of fiddling, but I got both of them to latch. Now that it's been on there a while like that, it's easy to get back in place whenever I remove the front plastic.

My best suggestion is to remove your front plastic (three screws to remove it -- one on each side of the front framrail below the screw that adjusts the headlight aiming, and one in the middle which is reached in the "forehead" of the machine, through the opening in that black area), and then unplug the headlights and the whole front end comes right off.

Once you see what I'm talking about, you should be able to see how to correct the problem.

Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine also rattled right away but in my case it was the 4 screw's(2 on each side) that were loose. The screws are the ones actually on the front plastic right above the wheels that were loose on mine. The tool kit under your seat had the right tool for the funky screw's on the plastic.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Those are torx screws.

Rob

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Robg I will try that....do any dealers take the time to assemble the machines like a customer would.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Polaris dealers or any dealers for that matter have to sign a sheet when you buy a new quad that says that they did a thorough ASSEMBLY, SERVICE, and INSPECTION. It rarely happens. They clean it and check the oil and thats about it. Basically the paper says that the dealer should check all bolts for proper torque, tire psi, battery, coolant etc just to name a few. Very few of them do anything close towhat they should do. It would save a lot of hassle if they did it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally watched my polaris mechcanic set-up my predator and he did a complete check off of all the things you basically mentioned. Did you know that the mechcanic has to fill the battery with acid before your predator was ever started? Depends on your dealer obviously but I have watched first hand at my dealer several times setting up a new quad and around here its done properly!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
In my case the plastics in front are actually flopping around. The "latches" that hold the sides to the gas tank are broken. It gets pretty annoying. Does anyone know of any cheap tricks to fix this?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
My best suggestion is to order replacement pegs for the gas tank so they won't flop anymore.

How did yours brake? I've flipped my machine all the way over and the only damage was a slightly bent clutch lever (I bent it back) and slightly bent handlebars (ordered new ones). Plastic is absolutely fine (gotta love the sand).

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
It wasnt the pegs that broke off from the gas tank. It was the other piece attached to the plastics. So I will probably have to jimmy rig it somehow. Oh and as for my quad along with broken front plastics, and bent handlebars I also bent the whole steering stem or whatever its called. I told my dealership that it got bent while jumping and the guy asked me how high and i told him about 6 feet. He tells me that my quad was not made to be jumped!!!! Stupid phuks. Since they wanted to rip me off on stock handlebars and stock steering stem I am probably just going to order the Rath Racing steerings stem and the trailtech handlebar clamp and x-bars. BTW my plastics dont look messed up but its annoying when the piece on the side of my tank starts to rattle rattle rattle.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
John:

I think maybe we oughta start a page for Crummy Dealers. What dealer gave you that load of crap about "it's not made to be jumped" ????

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know the dealer in question, so he may be a real loser... but I do know that jumping your quad 6 feet into the air will void your warranty, if you tell them about it.

Warranties are supposed to cover defects in build quality, not fix abuse by users. They will not cover any damage I do to the quad jumping it or rolling it down a hill... but they better fix something that breaks do to bad design or any defective parts.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Where specifically does it state that jumping voids the warranty???

I can show you some video of friends jumping (a Raptor and a Cannondale in this case) in which they went probably 5' in the air, and 40' in distance. In none of those cases were the landings harsh or in any way that would cause damage to the quad.

You're right that warranties are to cover defects, but if something bent from normal use (which may or may not be the case here), then it should be covered.

I don't believe in trying to get warranty coverage for damage that's my own fault.

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
The damage sounded like it was from a crash... he did say he also had bent handlebars and steering stem.

As far as the warranty goes... I haven't read it nor do I have it in front of me at work today, so I don't know if or where it specifically says that you can't jump it. I was, however, required to watch a video from Polaris when I bought it that stated repeatedly two things: don't jump and don't ride with a passenger. We all know that those warnings are there for litigation reasons... so they can't be sued if someone is hurt doing these activites and so they can't be forced to fix someone's bike after they crash it doing these activities.

If, however, the plastic just broke free and the bars bent through normal use... then that dealer should honor the warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know the man, and I am not going to say that anyone is lying. But, when is the last time you bent handlebars and the steering stem from landing a jump normally? The tooth is right, warranty is not going to cover anything that appears to be caused by abuse. And, nobody with any integrity would expect them to. After all, a new steering stem is only $57.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Polaris does not freely talk about racing or jumping or any thing that resembles jumping or any dangerous stunts because this is the new crappy (sue u) world.

How many people can make 10 mill. off of mickey D's for buying hot drinks. They are learning slowly what "WE" the buying public want in a quad!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness.

·
Registered
242 Posts
thats what mine dose like when i get it in thrid it starts and its rreally gets on my nerve gunna take some tips from here and try to fix that in the morning

·
Registered
50 Posts
No button probelms here...I did have all that squeaking noise from my front plastic as well....I cut off the plastic that holds the clips that attached to the gas tank and drilled a hole in the center of that to match up to the holes in the tank. Then I tool off the raiser from the tank and used a long screw and spacer the screw thru the outside and into the tank. Very secure and QUITE... I will post pics this weekend of the whole thing....hope this helps No button probelms here...I did have all that squeaking noise from my front plastic as well....I cut off the plastic that holds the clips that attached to the gas tank and drilled a hole in the center of that to match up to the holes in the tank. Then I tool off the raiser from the tank and used a long screw and spacer the screw thru the outside and into the tank. Very secure and QUITE... I will post pics this weekend of the whole thing....hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts