Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me start by saying I've had my 558 kit in for about 4 years and no problems. I was riding a couple of weeks ago and my Predator got hot. It was a long ride on the road to get where we were riding, so I just figured that was it. And when I say it got hot, the light never came on and the fan seemed to cycle just like it was supposed to, but it was blowing coolant out of the overflow cap. I let it cool off, filled the radiator, and rode some trails. All was good for a while and then it did it again. Let it cool and rode it home, when I got home same thing. Coolant tank spewing out of top, and radiator about 1/2 full. I'm thinking head gasket, or thermostat. I tore into it last nite and found a perfectly good headgasket, so I rip the thermostat out. Put into a pan with a candy thermo and it opened at exactly 71 degrees C, just like it's stamped. Ideas anyone. I'm going to replace thermostat and headgaskets just because I'm there, but does anyone have any other thoughts. And I did check my radiator, and the fins are clean.

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
How did you check the radiator? It is hard to see all of it IMO. I would pull it out and wash it just to make sure since it is easier to do than the head gasket.

My outlaw was overheating last weekend. Ipulled it out and it was only dirty where the fan is. That was enough. I think they put just enough radiator in to coll these things so just a little bit being dirty and it causes problems.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Coolant may not be circulating.Water pump.Just a thought .

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Mix up a gallon of 50% distilled white vinegar and 50% distilled water.

Pour it in the rad and let it sit for a while Pour out and then fluch the rad with clean running water and watch the crap that comes out!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the water pump is working. I took the cover off, and it rotated with crank when turned. Might have to try internal flush on radiator. This thing doesn't have a ton of hours on it, it's spent most of its life sitting in the garage, but I'll take a look at it this eve.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I flushed my radiator last year. Even though it looked great when looking in the filler neck I said what the heck. I was totally amazed at the amount of crap that came out of the thing after letting it sit for an hour with the vinegar in it.

I would guess I had about a 1/4 cup of scale flakes that came out of that little radiator!

After that I flushed the whole cooling system, motor and all!!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts