Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Everything I have come across is alot spendier than the PS4 oil. Why do you want to use cheap oil? The oil is what keeps the beasts heart pumpin. I'll always spend a little more cash for some good synthetic oil to put in my toys!! JMO

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
A lower priced oil doesn't mean it's not as good.

I absolutely refuse to pay the ridiculously high price for Polaris PS4 oil. It's something like $8 per quart (maybe more).

Since I got into quads early last year, I have been using nothing but Castrol Act-Evo 10W40. It's a synthetic-based oil (you can't run pure synthetic in quads because of the clutches), and being the Castrol brand, I trust it every bit as much as manufacturer-brand oil, or maybe even more. And I only pay $16 for a four liter (roughly 4.5 quart) jug of it. That's two oil changes on my Predator or Grizzly, and 1.5 changes on my Arctic Cat (which takes like three or three and a half quarts -- go figure).

Some people are nuts about using nothing but Redline oil for their cars. I think Mobil 1 works every bit as well and is almost half the cost. I think this is a fitting analogy.

Rob

·
Registered
453 Posts
Check out Amsoil, full synthetic and made for wet clutch applications in several weights...

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Actually I meant to say Amsoil when I said Redline above. Amsoil is good stuff, but it's also very, very pricey, which is why I don't use it.

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rob, I guess maybe the cost of living where you are may be higher than mine, but I think parts from Polaris cost the same regardless of location. PS-4 retails for $5.99 a quart. Your local shop must be getting some serious mark up!

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I actually never checked the price on the Polaris oil... for one, it wasn't available when I got my machine, and for another, I didn't care since that's not what I use. I was just repeating prices that I'd seen others post.

Even still, $6 per quart is very high. That works out to about $10 more for 4L than I pay for the Castrol Act-Evo.

Rob

·
Registered
249 Posts
i paid $21 for a gallon - for what it's worth

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone know what weight the PS-4 oil is? I want to explore other suitable alternatives such as Amsoil or Mobil. Thanks, in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure if this helps but if nothing else it's worth reading:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

Not sure if you can hyperlink stuff here...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just want to say thanks, This thread is alot of help. You know the PS-4 is overpriced so I refuse to shell out the extra clams every oil change.

·
Registered
249 Posts
has anyone heard what weight ps-4 actually is yet?

·
Registered
455 Posts
The weight of PS-4? If someone doesnt beat me to it, Ill look tomorrow morning.

Here, PS-4 and Amsoil is the same price, $5.99.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone find what weight the PS-4 is yet? I wonder why Polaris is keeping this such a secret?? The Service Manual doesn't even show a temp chart for oils to use like all of my other quads and motorcycles. Why the big secret?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Polaris could tell you, but then they would have to kill you. :)

Hey sportz, I see you live in NW Ohioland. Maybe you can help me out.

Just west of the toledo airport and on the south side of the turnpike, theres some sort of mining operation going on there. Ive seen quad and snowmobile tracks all through there. Have any idea about that place?

RED

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have no idea what's going on over there. I don't get to west Toledo often.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
0w40

·
Registered
249 Posts
0/40 is the other polaris oil, i don't believe its the ps-4?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts