Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well It happend this weekend, I broke the pred,kinda. Anyway I was hitting a jump-on one of the landings a moth flew right in my mouth,so I stopped to puke it out.When i went to start the pred back up she started making crunching noises and the starter sounded like I had no compression.I bumped the starter a few times and it caught,,cool,,I was able to get back to the truck.
When i got home I popped the cover and found that the One way bearing did not work right and felt like it was hitting the case half.I also found some chewed up pieces of the gear/bearing.Some of the pieces got into the stator and caused some grooves into it,But it did still work.

I have another stator ,You guys think I should change it to?
Is an 03 flywheel and one way bearing the same as an 04?
Does this happen offen? 1st for me and I have alot of hours on that bearing.
As a matter of fact The starter and the one way bearing are the only orignal parts in my motor that haven't been changed.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
did crap litterally come out of the case......ha ha thread title.

any how.....cross reference part numbers, i am pretty sure they are the same. just get ready for a good sized parts bill. one way and starter gear are like 280 starter is about 380. so you have PM on ther issue. i am on my third one way and starter gear. the one thing to keep in mind ios constant hard starting is hard on the bearings. also timing advnace in the CDI too early is a bad thing for these predators. when you put it back togeather use red locktite on the 8 boltsholding the one way and blue on the flywheel bolt. and MAKE SURE TO TORQUE TO SPEC.

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
Doug told me the other day most one bearing failures are because people hold the start button is tooo long! He said all you should have to do is push it a couple times.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after taking the flywheel out I found that the Bolts which hold the oneway bearing on, broke and all bolt were loose. I have heard this happens offen.Afterlooking at the whole set up i noticed that the whole set up is junk.What i mean is,,ALL Predators have a crappy flywheel, the bolts are allen heads which are loose fitting through the plate the hold the bearing.
S|O I sent my flywheel and oneway holder to a machine shop to get bigger snugger allen bolts put in. That should solve that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got the flywheel out to replace the one way bearing and it's stuck, won't come off easily. Any tips to pull this bearing out? Or off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts