Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 predator 500 and when i’m in gear i’m not getting full throttle any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
FIRST, clean or replace your air filter.
Next, make sure you have the proper engine oil and a clean oil filter in the bike.
Then pull and go thru the carb and clean every jet and orfice meticulously. Check your main jet for spec. and wear. Check your needle for wear. Check your float needle for wear. Check your float level for height spec. You may need a manual at this point if your new to this quad or hobby. If the quad prev. ran great at high RPM, the main jet spec. should be correct, if this is a new bike for you, it may be incorrectly jetted for your riding area altitude.
Lastly, your valves require maintenance, check them for spec.

Carburetor jetting consists of four main components:
  • Pilot Jet - this controls the amount of fuel when idling
  • Main Jet - this controls the fuel when you open up the throttle (between 50 and 100 percent power)
  • Jet Needle - this controls the fuel when you open and close the throttle (between 20 and 80 percent power)
  • Needle Jet - this is what the jet needle pops in and out of (between 15 to 60 percent of throttle

·
Registered
6 Posts
ALSO, check your carb boots, cracked boot will cause lean condition. Don't rule out the throttle cable and all cable adjusters, could be a simple limitation. Make sure the throttle cable is moving freely, clean and lube appropriately, and replace if any stickage. I'm not familiar with that carb but maybe an adjuster on the throttle cable attachment or at some point up to the thumb throttle is way off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts