Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FROM DAY ONE I THOUGHT MY BIKE WAS A LITTLE HEAVY TO PUSH AROUND... READ ALL THE REPORTS OF CO ONWERS OF THE PREDATOR HAVING BRAKE DRAG PROBLEMS TOO. WHEN ONE DAY CHECKING OVER MY BIKE I FOUND THE REAR PADS ALMOST GONE. A SLIDER PROBLEM IN FACT. I PULLED THE FRONT BRAKES WRIGHT AWAY, THEY WERE OKAY. I NOTICES THAT THE HUB WAS HARD TURN AND YOU COULD SEE THE CALIPER TRYING TO RELAXS TO THE RETURN POSITION BUT THEY WOULDN'T. PULLED THE CALIPERS AND IT WAS ALL I COULD DO TO PUSH THE SLIDERS BACK AND FORTH. I FIRQUED I COULD MAKE IT BETTER. AT WORK I WENT TO THE DRAW IN EVERYONES TOOL BOXS, THE JUNK DRAW.
FOUND SOME "O" RINGS FOR A CAT DIESEL ENGINE PN 061-8639 WITCH WERE SMALLER IN SIZE THICKNESS THAT IS. INSTALL THEM IN MY CALIPERS AND LUB THEM UP. IT WOULD BE NICE IF THEY WERE A LITTLE THICKER AS THE SLIDER IS A LITTLE LOOSE IN THE BORE NOW. PUT ALL TOGETHER AND PUSHING THE BIKE AROUND IS A NEW EXPERIENCE. I ALMOST PUSHED IT INTO THE WALL IT ROLLS SO EASY!!! (NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU USE THE BRAKES... HOPE YOU FIND THIS HELPFUL THE PREDATORIZER

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I think he is talking about the o-ring that seals the caliper piston, you would have to rebuild the caliper to do this mod.

Some one else posted that they found out, at the dealer, that the 03 stock caliper piston seal is swelling up or is a tad too large causing the piston to drag or stick in the bore , not allowing the piston to retract all the way when the brakes are released.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Polarisbob, I noticed in your list of goodies a billet LED tail light. Do you have a link to a site for that or is it homemade?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Greenroom I got the tail light off of Ebay. The guy is always listing them there. It should be no problem to find them. I also think that Ken "jetblast" Thompson sells them, he is know as "modquad" here, look in his profile for a link. But I think it is jetblast.com

Now if we could only get him to make up a bunch of those carbon fiber heat Shields for us that would be really cool!!!! hint hint ken!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THE "O"RINGS I'M TALKING ABOUT AT THE SLIDER BOLT "O"RINGS LOCATED IN THE ENDS OF THE CALIPER ONCE YOU REMOVE THE SLIDER BOLT BRUSHINGS.

·
Registered
525 Posts
predatorizer: I put a pic of the brakes in my profile. (I) is the one your takeing about, Thanks

later

·
Registered
70 Posts
just lube stock sliders with silcon brake grease. dont change o-ring , causes caliper to raddle

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Dont thin im stupid, but what are the "sliders", are they the bolts that the caliper slides on (letter k in Chilly's profile picture)? Is that what your saying to lube?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
yup letter k for the bolt and letter i for the o-ring

chillys pic's, top left pic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Greenroom, I picked up the same LED tailight on e-bay and flush mounted it in my rear plastics where it says Polaris right in the center behind the seat. It looks pretty dope, and I get complements all the time. I plan on cleaning my Pred on Thurs, righ now it's covered in mud so I'll snap a few pics if you want them. Later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts