Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a new trailer, but haven't decided what to build. I was thinking about a 6x12. I had a 6.5x16, which is a big ole trailer, so was thinking of a 6x12 with side ramp towards the front of the deck and then a drop down ramp in the rear...dual axle.

Any thoughts? Need to find the plans I had, but looked high and low when Rob was building his and couldn't find them. Thats what I get when I do a spring cleaning of the house, can't find anything...

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Do you really need plans? Do your own plan. I made my own trailer plan just by studying other trailers and how they were built.

Suggestion... if you're building a 3-place side-loader, which it sounds like from your description, I would go 13' long just to give you a little wiggle room when loading machines with big, fat tires.

For width, 6' might be a tad narrow. Most of the side-loaders I've seen are around 80" wide (my old Triton was 79" to avoid having the three little middle lights on it). I went 7' on mine because it'll just fit a Sportsman X2.

Since you're going tandem axle, are you going to build the deck above the tires, or have the deck lower and have a fender to drive over? Also, will you run a pair of 3500# axles, or will you go with the smaller 2000# axles and small tires like on some ATV and snowmobile trailers?

Ever since building my trailer, I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I would build next, and how I would do it. I've gotten to the point that I'm trying to find out what it'll take to become a licensed trailer builder in the state of Nevada, so I can build and sell trailers for a living (or an attempt at a living). ;)

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob, the Sportsman won't fit one sideways on a 60" trailers, so may have to go bigger...

I was going to build the deck lower than the fenders, typical configuration, lower center of gravity...
hate to get too wide, pain to tow around, hit everything...lol, but needed to fit the big machines on from the side...

I can design my own, and you're right...looking at other trailers is a big help...

dave

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jim, thats a nice trailer, and I'm sure its light...

I want to build something a little more heavy duty, something I can also haul alot of weight on, thats why I wanted to go to the dual axle setup....

still haven't gotten around to it, spent alot of money lately, new 800 Sportsman and new 2007 Dodge RAM 2500...oh well, its only money...lol

I'm sure I can still build a side drive on, at least front of the wheel well...

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Thanks, its around 300 lbs.

they have dual axel ones also, SL10 and SL12, 3 and 4 quad trailers.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I had a Triton UT128 which I loved... it was a single-axle, three-place, but without the fold-down ramps.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts