Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question do you guys buy rims and tires or just tires for the sand. Where is the cheapest place to get dune tires. I'm going to Silver Lake in a month and I need to be ready.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got rims and tires when I bought paddles... but only because I still wanted the razrs when not on the dunes. If you plan to exclusively ride dunes, you can save a few bucks and buy just the tires and have them mounted on your stock rims in place of the razrs.

I buy mine through rockymountinatv.com or at local atv shops in town... depending on price and availability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm from Grand Rapids, Mi and I have been to Silver Lake once so far and am going again this weekend.

I went with just my stock holeshot tires, and did fine... climbed everything with no problem.

I bought some paddles for my last quad last summer, and I bought rims as well. It's a pain in the butt to take the tires on and off of rims... just buy some aluminum rims and some decent paddles, and have them mounted for you.

If you have never been there, just try out the stock tires, they should do just fine, it will at least give you a taste of what you need and you can see what type of paddles everyone else has.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Predatorjunkie(hmmm your a junkie too! lol) I buy the dune tire Pkg. like was mentioned, pain to mount, then remount and the bead wont sit properly if you do too much of that. I got Douglas.160 rim on my turbo paddles cause its an in between weight, the type of sand your ridng and depending on how hard the landings are will depend on what weight of rim you want. I dont really reccomend all that extra weight of a ITP .190 for sand but thats just my opinion.A .125 will do for the Ave. rider.. I too but all my tires through Rocky Mountain but I would order soon being summer is aroud the corner, they will start running low, we ran into this last year.Let us know what you get.....TINA :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Buy a set of rims and paddles, get Haulers on .125 rims, 8 paddles seems to work great on my Predator. Try Chaparralmotorsports.com, they always have everything in stock and are reasonably priced. I say do not go in the sand without paddles, you'll have fun even if you do, but paddles make it 100% more fun in the sand. The stock tires just don't cut it for sand.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I recommend at least the .160 rims if not the .190 ones. The weight savings on the .125 is minimal at best, and there's a big chance of bending a wheel especially if you do any jumping. For safe keeping, I spend the extra $20 and get .190s.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts